Search for content in message boards

Emil Thorsen (b. 1883)

Replies: 25

Emil Thorsen (b. 1883)

Posted: 4 Feb 2013 8:46AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: thorsøe thorsø thorsen
I was hoping someone could help me out with this mystery in my family.
I have asked for help on Ancestry.com before, but trying again in the area where he lived.

Here is the previous thread: http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.northam.usa.general/26...

The person I am seeking information on is Emil Bernhard Thorsø (known in America as Emil Thorsen). He was born January 09 1883 in Kristiansund, Norway. I am hoping to find out what happened to him. He suddenly stopped sending letters back home.

Here is the information I have on him in chronological.

1900: Norwegian census. Working as a steam worker on the ship Haugesund.
1905: He is sending a letter home to Norway from the ship USS Brooklyn. The return adress is "E.B Thorsen. U.S.S Brooklyn /@ postmaster (Newgard?) U.S.S) The letter is stamped New Orleans.
1910: Norwegian census. Stated to be in America.
1918: He is found on a registry card for WW1 as a marine fireman. Living in Portland, Oregon.
1925: Sends a letter back home saying he is working the woods. Portland, Oregon.
1930: American census. Living in Portland, Oregon. Working on the US Tender Rose (Lightship). NOT naturalized.

I also have two addresses for him, that I found back on a picture of him. I will upload it so you can see for your self. I dont understand the hand writing all that well.

I have been in contact with the Lightship organization, and they tell me that this way of living was dangerous and that many people died doing this.

I have tried to go trough the marine muster rolls of USS Brooklyn but have not found him.

In 1909 a man named Emil Thorsen is filing an naturalization in clatscop, Oregon. That´s not the right person. I have seen the naturalization papers.

The 1910 census for Little Rock, Thurston County, WA, includes an Emil THORSEN, age 32, single, born Norway, emigrated 1905, employed as a marine fireman. I dont think thats the right person. Because this guy is naturalized.

There is also a man named Bernhard E Thorsoe to be found as a NY passenger in 1950. That´s not the right guy. This is a family member with the same name.

I hope this post was understandable even with all the information. My goal is to find out what happened to him, but also to find out more about his life in America. Maybe he can be found in phone books or stuff like that?
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
akkarmannen 4 Feb 2013 3:46PM GMT 
akkarmannen 9 Feb 2013 1:40PM GMT 
pacificforest... 21 Feb 2013 7:58PM GMT 
akkarmannen 21 Feb 2013 8:27PM GMT 
pacificforest... 21 Feb 2013 8:53PM GMT 
akkarmannen 22 Feb 2013 3:43PM GMT 
pacificforest... 28 Feb 2013 11:36PM GMT 
akkarmannen 28 Feb 2013 11:47PM GMT 
barbdale_1 1 Mar 2013 2:46AM GMT 
pacificforest... 1 Mar 2013 2:57AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions