Replies: 1

Thomas Carney, Strongstown, Killed In Mine Accident

Posted: 6 Dec 2000 5:00AM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Edited: 11 Jul 2001 12:43PM GMT
Surnames: CARNEY, DOBSON, HILL, RHODES, SMITH
1967 unknown newspaper article:

Thomas Carney, Strongstown, Killed In Mine Accident

Funeral services were held Tuesday for a Strongstown man killed Friday, June 9, in an accident at Mine 31, Bethlehem Mine Corp., Nanty Glo.

Pronounced dead at the scene was Thomas Vincent Carney, 53, of Strongstown, an outside laborer.

According to George L. May, Cambria Division Superintendent, Mr. Carney was killed by an eight-ton empty coal car on a shop track at the mine tipple. The car had just emerged from the tipple and was descending a slight grade when the accident happened at 9:40 p.m.

The afternoon shift foreman said he had seen Carney fall beneath the rolling car.

Cambria County Coroner Joseph J. Govekar investigated the accident along with state and federal mine inspectors and said the huge coal car had passed part way over the victim's body.

Coroner Govekar said death had been caused by massive crush injuries and multiple fractures and cuts of the body.

Mine officials said Mr. Carney had worked at the same outside job for several years.

Dr. G.G. Ebandjieff, Nanty Glo physician, pronounced the victim dead at the scene.

Born Oct. 6, 1913, he was the son of Franklin and Caroline (Rhodes) Carney).

Surviving are his widow Verna M. (Hill) Carney and four brothers: Samuel, Nanty Glo; Cede and Robert, both of Belsano, and James, Cleveland, 0. He was also the brother of Mrs. Earl (Leone) Smith, Nanty Glo, and Mrs. Russell (Mary) Dobson, Cleveland, 0.

Friends were received at the Robinson-Lytle Funeral Home, Indiana, Pa. Services were held at 1:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Strongstown Methodist Church, the Rev. Leo Harrold and Kenneth McCay officiating.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
MarthaHumenik... 6 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT 
deannakisel 21 Mar 2013 3:05PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic