Search for content in message boards

ONWILER

Replies: 14

Re: Anweiler; Onwiler,Anwiller,Einwiller and other variations

Andreas Einwiller (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jan 2004 10:17AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hallo Richard Shindle,
I joined Ancestry.com just a week ago and by searching the last names Anweiler and Anwiller i ran across your message from 2001.You may already have all your questions answered but anyhow let me try to tell you what I know about this surname-variations above.
I am living in Mannheim,Germany.Born in 1937 in Hungary where my Forfather Mathias Anweiler?Anwiller? immigrated to around the year 1755.He came from Germany but up to now I could not trace the village he was born in.I am quite sure that it must have been the Palatine area close to the French border.In this area nowadays called "Rheinland-Pfalz" there is a town with the name Annweiler and is very likely that the surname Anweiler is derived from the name of this town.
The funny thing about my forfather Mathias is that in the churchbook of Csatalja where he married Anna-Maria Hiegler his last name was put down as Anwiller,according to the slang pnonounciation in the Palatne dialect.When his third child was born the priest all of a sudden wrote down the surname Einwiller and this name was than used continuosly for all his descendants.
So you see for the immigrants to the States Anweiler changed to Onwiller and for the immigrant to Hungary out of Anweiler it became Einwiller.Most likely this happened because in these days people could not read nor could they write and the immigration officers and priests wrote down what they phonetically understood.
Because I am still not done with my search on Anweiler/Einwiller I would very much appecciate if you would get in touch with me to exchange what ever we know about these ancesters.
Hope to hear from you

Andy Einwiller
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Myrna Wilson 18 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT 
wrshindle1 1 Aug 1999 12:00PM GMT 
phyllisphylli... 1 Jul 2001 2:57AM GMT 
wrshindle1 1 Aug 2001 10:50AM GMT 
Andreas Einwiller 22 Jan 2004 5:17PM GMT 
arylene08 18 Jan 2009 6:17PM GMT 
D_OnwilerJr 1 Apr 2012 1:03AM GMT 
cliffandmyrna 25 Jun 2012 4:32PM GMT 
spurlyngates 10 Nov 2012 12:38PM GMT