WILE TO WYLE

Replies: 1

WILE TO WYLE

John Wyle (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jun 2005 5:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Jun 2005 1:16AM GMT
Surnames: Wile, Wyle, Monn, Kauffman, Wiles
FOR WILE RESEARCHERS: The spelling of the family name was changed from Wile to Wyle by Maxwell E. Wyle, in this Wile line when he was a child. The first evidence of this name change appears in the 1920 Waynesboro Census Report, and apparently occurred after the death of Harvey Burman Wile in 1918, and the 1920 Report. In addition, after Linnie Wile moved the family to Harrisburg in 1921, she registered the two remaining children for school using the new name. The name change only affected Linnie, Maxwell E. Wile and Cornelia L. Wile. I, John A. Wyle, am the first person born with the changed name in this Wile line. This line starts with Philip Wile and Martha Monn, and Jacob Wile and Dorothy Monn, all from the Mont Alto/Quincy area.

SPELLING ERROR: Throughout my research, I have noticed the Wile name has been mispelled Wiles on more than one occasion in this Wile line. The most recent was in a death notice associated with the Kauffman family in 2003. The spelling errors have occurred in census reports, a headstone, death notices and posted on this site as well as LDS by various researchers. I believe these errors occurred initially by using plural and possessive spellings. By realizing this, I can only come to the conclusion the possibility of errors exist in other Wiles lines, and that it is possible the true spelling of the Wiles name is infact Wile in these other Wiles lines.

If I can be of assistance, do not hesitate to contact me at wylej@yahoo.com. If anyone knows the parents of Philip and Jacob Wile, I'd appreciate the information.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
John Wyle 12 Jun 2005 11:29PM GMT 
wylej 2 Feb 2013 5:36PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic