Search for content in message boards

David McConnell, son of Captain John

Replies: 1

Re: David McConnell, son of Captain John

Posted: 22 Jan 2013 4:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Feb 2013 1:26PM GMT
My great, great grandfather was David McConnell, born abt. 1792/Pa. I am the main family genealogist for my branch of my McConnell family descended from David. I have DNA connected (65 out of 67 Y-DNA markers) my branch to the present day McConnell's in Beaver Co., Pa (McConnell's Farm est. 1787) who's genealogy states they descend from Capt. John McConnell of Letterkenny Twp. We are also DNA connected (66 out of 67 Y-DNA markers) to a William McConnell, born abt. 1735 in Lancaster Co., Pa. who married a Mary Magdaline Bernhizle and went to Trumbull Co., Ohio around 1800. All of us are in turn DNA connected (66 out of 67 Y-DNA markers) to the descendants of Alexander (born reportedly 1720/Scotland)McConnell and his son Matthew McConnell (Alexander son of William McConnell, Jr. out of Scotland/Ireland)being of Washington Co., Pa, by way of Cumberland Co., Pa and Charlotte Co., Va. They purchased their Washington Co., land in 1752 out of Virginia. For many years of research, I had figured my g, great grandfather David was the son of Capt. John McConnell, especially by virtue of the Beaver Co., Pa McConnell's family genealogy and our DNA connection (65 out of 67 DNA markers the same)and Capt. John McConnell's Last Will and Testament 1815 indicating he had a son named David. However, I recently was sent the last Will and Testament (July 12, 1861/Orphan's Court Chester Co., Pa.) for Jane Dawson, reportedly the sister of Mary Dawson, who married John McConnell (in 1785/Christ Church, Philadelphia)who is "thought" to be Capt. John McConnell of Letterkenny Twp. Jane Dawson's Will names her sister Mary McConnell (does not mention the first name of her husband, deceased or otherwise) and names her children as: Rosanna Lowther of Armstrong Co., Pa; Elizabeth, wife of David Robison of Tuscarawas, Ohio (or Wayne Co., Ohio); Robert McConnell of Hancock Co., Ohio; "David" McConnell of Tuscarawas Co., Ohio (named in Obit) and John McConnell of Warick Co., Ohio. These names fit John McConnell of Letterkenny's Will. So to answer your question, according to Jane Dawson's Will in the 1850's and 1860's, David McConnell was residing in Tuscarawas, Ohio. My David McConnell was also in Trumbull, Mahoning and Portage Co's Ohio in the 1820's to 1842, when we moved to Wisconsin where my McConnell's still reside. I hope this helps you. I was able to check the 1850 census in Ohio for David McConnell. My great, great grandfather, David McConnell (his headstone in the Farmington Cemetery, Lacrosse Co., Wisconsin has his last name spelled "McConnal" for some reason, and resting next to him is my great grandfather, James "McConnell")died Aug. 5, 1858, in Mindoro/Farmington Twp., Lacrosse Co., Wisconsin. Thus, he does not "appear" to be the David McConnell mentioned in Capt. John McConnell's 1815 Last Will and Testament. The David McConnell in Capt. John McConnell's Last Will and Testament & Jane Dawson's Will, appears to be the David McConnell, living in New Cumberland, Tuscarawas Co., Ohio, age 58, (born about the same time as my g,great grandfather)who was living with George France's family (in 1850) on a farm there. David appears to have had no children, but more research is needed to confirm this. My g, great grandfather David McConnell is on the 1850 Federal Census in Lafayette Twp., Walworth Co., Wisconsin, on a farm with his family. Last name spelled: McConnel.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
MacConnellJ 29 Jan 2012 8:12PM GMT 
akneavel 22 Jan 2013 11:09PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions