Search for content in message boards

Neville (Nevil?) & Shipman families, mid-1800s, Muncy Creek

Replies: 0

Neville (Nevil?) & Shipman families, mid-1800s, Muncy Creek

Posted: 17 Nov 2012 8:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McLaughlin, Nevil, Neville, Shipman, Rush
I am looking for any information about the family of John Shipman, married Martha Edwards, both b.c. 1790. They had at least two children: William, b.c. 1825 married Rachael ? and Mary, b.c. 1820/1822 m. George Nevil/Neville. They were married in 1850 and lived in Muncy Creek area. I believe that between 1860 and 1870 they moved to Watsontown, Northumberland County - I cannot locate them beyond that.

Background:
My g-g-g grandfather, George McLaughlin, b.c. 1844 was living with George and Mary Nevil in Watsontown in 1870, and I believe these are the same George & Mary Nevil from Muncy Creek (same names, age, & Nevil is not a locally common name that I am aware of). I know that the Nevils were married in 1850. In the 1850 Census, they are listed with three children: James, age 17, Charlotte, age 14 and George age 6. Obviously James and likely Charlotte are too old to be George & Mary's children. In 1860, they are living with/next door to William Shipman and John & Martha Shipman, and Charlotte, now age 24 and George, now age 16, are living there as well. (No trace of James, though)

I have completely been unable to trace my George McLaughlin PRIOR to 1870 Watsontown. I have wondered if his parents didn't die when he was a child, and he was taken in by someone, his last name unlisted in 1850 and 1860. This connection to the Nevilles, and the fact that James (also a common name within the McLaughlin family) as well as probably Charlotte simply can't be the Neville's children leads me to investigate that the George living with them in 1850 and 1860 is the same George that is my g-g-g grandfather.

As such, I am investigating any connection between the Nevilles/Shipmans and any McLaughlins. My George McLaughlin married Mary Ann Young, daughter of Asher Young and Juliann Rush of Jersey Shore area, and other evidence leads me to wonder if there may be connections to the family of John G. Gray of Montour County and four of his sons: Frederick, George, Samuel and Stephen. I am just mentioning these other connections in case they may trigger further leads. George McLaughlin & Mary Young had children Charles, William, James, Maude and Raymond.

Thank you!

Find a board about a specific topic