Search for content in message boards

Mary Ann Mitchell - Murdered by Elmo Smith 1959

Replies: 122

Re: Mary Ann Mitchell - Murdered by Elmo Smith 1959

Mark Molyneux (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jul 2006 10:24AM GMT
Classification: Query
I recall the same admonition from my parents, "Never go with a stranger." I was ten at the time and living about two blocks from the spot where Smith abducted Mary Ann Mitchell. To the best of my knowledge, she attended a local parochial grade school at St. Josaphat's in Manayunk. Whether it was real or made up by adults who wanted to make this as scary as they might, I was told that a binary (like 10010101) code was scrawled on the body probably in lipstick by the murderer. That was supposed to clue in the police that the murderer might be a computer person but it simply made me think he was a nut. It certainly chilled me in the recounting. I was told that the body was located along a roadside in Montgomery County just outside the city limit in Barren Hill. I believe that burial was in Holy Sepulchre cemetery near Belmont Avenue and Levering Mill Road. My grandparents are also buried there and my parents made quite a point of saying how sad (and how frightening) it was that a child, just a bit older than myself, had died in such a horrible, violent manner. I still live in the neighborhood and anyone who has been here since the late 1950s remembers the tragedy vividly. I visited the Eastern State Penitentiary in the Fairmount section of the city where Smith spent time on death row. The Penitentiary is no longer in use but it is a tourist attraaction now. I saw Al Capone's cell and Willie Sutton's too but when the guide talked about Elmo Smith, it was just scary.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Al Jarvis 15 May 2006 2:46AM GMT 
mcgady 20 May 2006 2:00AM GMT 
Al Jarvis 20 May 2006 5:41PM GMT 
rdadam 5 Nov 2012 2:39PM GMT 
Mark Molyneux 11 Jul 2006 4:24PM GMT 
Al Jarvis 22 Jul 2006 12:04AM GMT 
psingersoll 29 Sep 2006 5:30AM GMT 
Al Jarvis 29 Sep 2006 5:58AM GMT 
Patrick Ryan 15 Feb 2007 8:20PM GMT 
Al Jarvis 16 Feb 2007 6:25AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions