Search for content in message boards

Looking for info on the McCollins of Milton

Replies: 4

Ordering Pennsylvania Death Certificates

Posted: 16 Jul 2013 10:42AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 16 Jul 2013 8:56PM GMT
Effective February 13, 2012, you may now access Pennsylvania birth and death indices to search for birth records for 1906 and death records from 1906 through 1961. The original birth and death records for these years are located at the Pennsylvania State Archives. Information on searching the indices is available on the Public Records page.

With the death certificate number, name and DOD, one can order a non-certified copy of the certificate from the Pennsylvania State Archives, 350 North ST, Harrisburg PA 17120-0090 for $5 each.

The non-certified certificate form is hard to find on-line as most often you will come to a pdf form for a certified copy which costs $9 each and for which you must supply a photo-id and other information establishing your right to a certified copy of vital records.

If you are interested in the genealogy only, don't fall into that trap, but rather go to the pastatearchives.com website, where you will readily find a downloadable pdf on which you can order multiple records for $5 each.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/sta...

I ordered (7-5-2013)and received (7-15-2013), three such death records, having looked up in the now on-line PA Death data, the name used, the certificate numbers, and DODs.

This is a boon to genealogical research in Pennsylvania.

In my case, I was able to find the death date of a great grandmother on-line after a city directory search (ancestry.com) of Allentown in the 1920s year by year when she disappeared between 1926 and 1927. With that information, I then found her death date and certificate number in just a few minutes with the new on-line PA vital records index.

I ordered her death certificate and two others after some thought as to what I might learn. I was pleased to find the given names of my great great grandparents (Slovak coal miners in Mt. Carmel) and where my great grandmother was buried -- data which I have long sought.

Of course a death certificate is no better than the knowledge of the informant, so one needs to check and cross check some of what you may find. The other two death records while useful, were not as informative. All in all, it was money well spent.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jere Arment 10 Jul 2013 3:16PM GMT 
7thPaCavalry 11 Jul 2013 8:48PM GMT 
Jere Arment 16 Jul 2013 10:54AM GMT 
goreabago 16 Jul 2013 2:33PM GMT 
walterfreeman... 16 Jul 2013 4:42PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions