Search for content in message boards

1742 Tennant Map of McCall's Manor - from George McCall's Docket in Orphan's Court Docket Book Philadelphia County, PA

Replies: 0

1742 Tennant Map of McCall's Manor - from George McCall's Docket in Orphan's Court Docket Book Philadelphia County, PA

Posted: 8 Dec 2012 6:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am attaching an 1742 tenant map for McCall's Manor. I found this map in The Orphan's Court Docket Book, Volume 3 for Philadelphia County, PA for George McCall's Estate. George McCall had purchased the large manor from John Penn in 1735. George McCall died in 1740. The judge ordered the property be surveyed in order to divide it equally amongst his children.

McCall's Manor included modern day Douglass Township, Gilbertsville, West Pottsgrove, Stowe, Halfway House and parts of Pottstown and Pottsgrove - these areas are all now in Montgomery County.

The Schuykill River and Manatawny Creek are indicated. Another stream on one page is not identified, though I believe it is Swamp Creek that flows through Gilbertsville.

My ancestor, Jacob Miller is listed on the map as a tenant. The McCall Child who inherited his land was Eleanor McCall as indicated by the letter "F" on his acreage lot.
I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has ancestors listed on this map, in particular those that lived on lot surrounding Jacob Miller, such as: Jacob Sheffer, Jacob Boyer, Lawrence Switzer, Nicholas Fink, Michael Foderick (perhaps Frederick), George Vurgott, Heronimious Miller, Ulrich Livinggood, Peter George, Jacob Fry, Joest Fryer, George Overpeck, Wendal Kite, Aaron Sheireff, etc... I hope there was some meaningful relationship based on where these men lived in 1742. My Jacob Miller and Wendal Kite on the list both moved to Augusta County, Virginia - now Rockingham and Page Counties circa 1746. Jacob Miller and Wendal Kite were connected somehow, perhaps directly related or via marriage. Jacob Miller is listed on an estate record for Wendal Kite in Virginia, plus they lived in close proximity in Virginia as well.

The Map images adjoin with the first image on top of the following image in sequence. You can also identify how the map images line up by hyphenated names at the top and bottom of a couple images (the name is completed in the following image). I am also attaching a modern township map that identifies where McCall's Manor lay in relation to these areas in 1742.

Hope this posting helps others who are searching in PA in this time frame in the mid 1700s.

Roger
Attachments:

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions