Search for content in message boards

Fletcher/Fletzer/Floetzer/Floesser of York County

Replies: 6

Re: Fletcher/Fletzer/Floetzer/Floesser of York County

Posted: 30 Apr 2013 5:46AM GMT
Classification: Query
Thank you for this. Actually, all of the included info is sourced to my original work from some years back--such is the internet echo chamber. My original research in the mid-90s led me to York, PA, and court records there. Subsequently I identified the Catholic parish near Heidelberg from which the family originated prior to their immigration to PA in 1732. The church is in Heiligkreuzsteinach, a few miles NE of Heidelberg in the Odenwald. I visited the area in 2002, visited the church and compared my microfilm copies of the register to the original one in the parish house. The surviving portions of the original Floesser house are in a nearby village, though that only includes the door and the doorframe; the balance of the structure was later rebuilt. Many very distant cousins remain in the area there, and retain the original German spelling of the surname.

Some years ago I collaborated with cousin Michael Barkman, deceased, of Bedford Co., PA, on a brochure giving the history of the family and the Fletcher Cemetery in Monroe Twp., Bedford Co. The text I created for that (later reproduced by cousin Tom Clabaugh for a Bedford PA ancestral research website) included a few early errors on my part, including my misreading of "Flotzer" as the German surname. The German double-S figure resembles a "tz" written cursively, which confused me initially. The "o" is with an umlaut, which alters the sound a bit to something like "Floeh-zuh." The name literally means "floater," or raftsman. Largely from that posting, much copy/pasting without source credit resulted...amusing as it served to reproduce the errors intact, now quoted as fact without correction. Oh well.

A few corrections to your data: Johann Jacob Floesser Sr was born in 1704 in H'steinach, and died in Manchester Twp., York Co., PA....not Germany. Anna Margarethe Reichardt died in Lancaster Co., PA. Floesser married again, to Anna Elizabethe ___(unknown), who survived him. Johann Jaoob Jr. is thought to be the last child of Anna Margarethe, and it may be that she died from childbirth complications. There are no known firm birth years for either Philip or Eva, as the parish register for H'Steinach only begins in 1699. Most likely the years you've mentioned were my own guestimates.

The part of Germany from which the family came looks very much like western MD and southern PA....rolling hills with fertile valleys, ridges topped by forest. Also, many apple orchards. Hard cider, or apfelwein, is still highly prized.

I'm guessing from the Wiki-tree you've linked that you descend from John Fletcher, d. 1860?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
dfletcher 27 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT 
kmac765 29 Apr 2013 10:13PM GMT 
kmac765 29 Apr 2013 10:16PM GMT 
kmac765 29 Apr 2013 10:17PM GMT 
kmac765 29 Apr 2013 10:23PM GMT 
dfletcher 30 Apr 2013 11:46AM GMT 
kmac765 30 Apr 2013 2:13PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions