Search for content in message boards

Info I found on some Gillespie's in Pa

Replies: 2

Info I found on some Gillespie's in Pa

Posted: 6 Jun 2013 1:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gillespie
Hi Sally-

I always enjoy receiving emails like yours!

We have records going back to 1840 here at our church.

I didn’t find any entries with the spelling “Gilaspy”, but I found a few with the spelling “Gillespie”

I am including these in case they might be of interest to you:

- Lizzie Gillespie, daughter of William B., baptized and received into membership on Nov. 5, 1886

-Dr. Franklin Gillespie entered in the Adult Sunday School Registry on Jan. 4, 1890

-Franklin Gillespie, son of George, received into adult membership on Feb.7,1892

-Mrs. Anna Weiser Gillespie, wife of Dr. Franklin Gillespie, received into adult membership on Dec. 12, 1897 by transfer from the First Presbyterian Church of York, PA.

-Mary Eleanor Gillespie, daughter of Dr. Franklin and Anna W. born on Nov. 7, 1901, baptized on Aug. 30, 1902.

There are several other Presbyterian Churches in the area where you may find more information:

Nottingham Presbyterian Church

Union Presbyterian Church

Manor Presbyterian Church

Second Presbyterian Church

There is also information at the Presbyterian Historical Society in Philadelphia, PA.

Best of luck in your research!

Eryn Gallagher, Oxford Presbyterian Church Secretary

Sent: Monday, June 03, 2013 12:21 PM
To: opc@oxfordpresbyterian.org
Subject: Church Records of 1800s

Good Afternoon,

I'm currently doing ancestry research for my family (Gillespie) and find that I had relatives living in Lower Oxford Township, PA. My great grandparents, Edward and Hanna Gilaspy are cited in 1850 census for Lower Oxford Township. I'm told they were of the Presbyterian faith.

Are there still records available that relate to the 1800s? I noticed in your historical description that there had been a fire but am hoping that old records may have been saved. If you know of any agencies that might have kept these records, I would greatly appreciate learning of them. I have done some research with Chester County records online but have not discovered what I need to further my research. I currently live in Florida so have to rely on computer sites to gather information.

Any information you can forward to me would be most welcome.

Sally Gillespie Richards

Lake Suzy, FL

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
1flalady 6 Jun 2013 7:28PM GMT 
jmyoung365 6 Jun 2013 11:06PM GMT 
1flalady 7 Jun 2013 2:13AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions