Search for content in message boards

Daniel Daubert, b. 6 Mar 1828 - more than one?

Replies: 0

Daniel Daubert, b. 6 Mar 1828 - more than one?

Posted: 31 Aug 2013 7:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Daubert
I'm trying to flesh out the life of Daniel Daubert, my 3rd great-grandfather. I have records for his birth on 6 Mar 1828 in Pennsylvania. And I know that he was the father of Susan Daubert, my 2nd great-grandmother, born in 1856 in PA.

Where it starts to go wrong is looking at both the civil and church records of marriage vs. what many people have in their family trees. A man named Daniel Daubert from Pennsylvania married Mary Ann Moser. In the 1900 census, Daniel Daubert of Freeland, Luzerne County, PA, states that he was born in Mar 1828, and has a wife named 'Miriam'. This could be an error on the part of the census taker - the name Mary Ann sounds nearly identical. Under number of years married, 51. So they'd have been married in 1849 - and many trees have that date. But I've also found one document that shows a Daniel Daubert and Mary Evans getting married in Pottsville, PA, in 1883. In the 1900 census, Daniel and Mary Ann have a granddaughter living with them - Minnie, 17 years old. Mary Ann in the 1900 census also has her birth noted as Jan 1831, which is exactly when Daniel's wife was born, according to my evidence.

Another complication is that many people who have Daniel in their tree also have another - first - wife, Polly Ann Miller, in 1849 ... no evidence anywhere to back this up.

I don't know ... badly confused as to which of the women is my 3rd great-grandmother. But the 1900 census seems clearly that he married a Mary Ann (Moser) in 1849, and there was no other wife in between. Argh!

Find a board about a specific topic