Search for content in message boards

Hinkle/Schreffler

Replies: 3

Re: Hinkle/Schreffler

June Bensinger (View posts)
Posted: 27 Mar 2005 9:49PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Schreffler
Hi....read your inquiry on Bessie Schreffler.

My great-grandmother was one Amelia Elizabeth Adams Schreffler Terrill. Born 5/ 5/1864 at Tremont PA. Died 12/27/1925 at Llewellyn, PA. Her first husband was Fred Schreffler (he had a second wife after Amelia - one Mary Lord). Amelia is buried in Llewellyn Cemetery, Llewellyn PA

Fred and Amelia Schreffler had 4 children. My grandmother - Katie Schreffler Troutman was the oldest - born 5/31/1883 at Gilberton, PA, died 4/3/1941 at Schuylkill Haven, PA.
She is buried in Frieden Lutheran Cemetery, Llewellyn PA..

Her sister was BESSIE SCHREFFLER, born 9/21/1885 in Gilberton PA. Bessie was married to a Hinkle and died young leaving small children who were put in an orphanage. I do not have this in writing but my mother, Katie's daughter and Bessie's niece related this to me vocally. My mother, born in 1907, told me she was about 11 when her aunt Bessie died. She did not remember too much more about her but often used to wonder what happened to the children, but she said her mother told her that Bessie's husband could not care for them and put them in the orphanage.

There were 2 Schreffler brothers - Harry, born 6/11/1893 at Minersville PA - married an Edna ?? and had a number of children, including a Dorothy and a Herbert. Lived in Wilmington, DE.

William Schreffler, born 6/17/1894 at Glenworth PA. There was also a half-brother, Lester W. Terrill, born to Amelia and her second husband, Frederick E Terrill. He was born 8/17/02 and died 11/11/09 at age 7 in Hahneman Hospital in Phila (I think my mother said of the flu, also).

Most of these men were employed in the Anthracite Coal mining industry.

To go back a little farther - Bessie's mother, Amelia was a daughter of William Adams, Sr. born 2/25/1823 in Williams Valley, Dauphin Co. He died 1/14/1874 at Tremont PA. Her mother 's name is not in my passed down history, but I do have the date of her birth as 10/17/1829 in Lower Machatongi,()could be Mahantongo or Macungie??) PA. and died 5/17/1905 at Tremont PA. (My grandmother had these dates written down but she didn't seem to know her grand-mothers name as it was not in the written record).

Amelia had 5 brothers - William Adams, Jr.; Andrew E Adams; Harrison W. Adams; Levin (Levi) J. Adams and a sister, martha Adams Zimmerman. All were born in Tremont PA. Levi ran a Hotel in Tremont, PA

This is as much as I know. If this is the Bessie Schreffler you are looking for, I would love to hear from you and hear any info you may have on this line of Schrefflers.

My name is June Boyer Bensinger (daughter of Hannah Amelia Troutman Boyer) and I am 70 years old. I live in Sch. Haven, PA. My e-mail is junehare2000@yahoo.com

You
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Denisa Hinkle 13 Oct 2003 7:50PM GMT 
June Bensinger 28 Mar 2005 4:49AM GMT 
StephanieReel... 20 Apr 2005 1:22PM GMT 
StephanieReel... 21 Apr 2005 12:43PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions