Benjamin TAYLOR, b. 1761 son of Wm. TAYLOR & Elizabeth GRAY

Replies: 4

Benjamin TAYLOR, b. 1761 son of Wm. TAYLOR & Elizabeth GRAY

Posted: 16 May 2012 12:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Jun 2012 9:38AM GMT
Surnames: TAYLOR, GRINNELL, ALLIN, ALLEN, PIERCE, PEARCE, WOOD
Hi,

I am trying to ascertain whether the Benjamin TAYLOR born 8 January 1761 at Little Compton, Newport Co., RI to William TAYLOR and Deborah GRAY might be the same Benjamin Taylor who died sometime in the late 1820's in the Town of Brownville, Jefferson Co., New York, after a brief stay in Amsterdam, Montgomery Co., New York.

The Benjamin Taylor born 1761 at Little Compton married Elizabeth GRINNELL at Little Compton on 23 December 1784 according to vital records.

There is on record the death of a Benjamin Taylor at Hopkinton, RI on 11 August 1803 and I have seen several online family trees that assume this is the son of William & Deborah. I think the reason why researchers have made this assumption is because William Taylor did not mention his son Benjamin in his will -- this could mean Benjamin was dead, but it could also mean Benjamin no longer lived in the area so there was no point leaving him a legacy as he wouldn't be able to claim it.

In fact, I have seen evidence that the Benjamin who died in 1803 in Hopkinton was actually the son of Humphrey TAYLOR and Martha WOOD who lived at Hopkinton; and that Benjamin was married to a different woman, not Elizabeth GRINNELL.

So that leaves Benjamin Taylor, husband of Elizabeth Grinnell and son of William & Deborah unaccounted for in the death records of Rhode Island to my knowledge.

So....

In Jefferson County, New York, a Benjamin Taylor born around the early 1760s according to census estimates shows up in the 1820 census, along with a Peter Taylor born about 1765, and a Richard Taylor born about 1751. This Benjamin Taylor's descendants reported that their father was born in Rhode Island.

Beforehand, this Benjamin Taylor was living from at least 1794 until after 1810 in Amsterdamn, Montgomery Co., New York next door to John Pearce ALLIN, who had moved there from Prudence Island, Town of Portsmouth, Rhode Island, a son of James ALLEN and Martha PEARCE (who also moved from Prudence Island to Amsterdam).

James Allen and Martha Pearce had a son Cyrus Allen, born 1765 at Portsmouth, a sailor, who died in 1799. Before he died, he married Juliana A. TAYLOR, born about 1771 in Rhode Island, and they had a son named Cyrus Allen. After Cyrus Sr.'s death, Juliana married Benjamin PRYOR. Interestingly, Benjamin PRYOR and Juliana TAYLOR moved to Town of Brownville, Jefferson Co., New York as well, where they died. One online researcher has even identified Juliana as the daughter of the Richard TAYLOR born 1751 in Rhode Island who was enumerated near Benjamin in the censuses of Brownville (they cite no source however).

Add to this mix that Peter TAYLOR, aforementioned, appears in the censues of both Amsterdam and Brownville next to Bejmain Taylor. The name Peter is significant because it was the name of another son of William and Deborah. And I find two Peter Taylors, one fitting the age the man in Amsterdam and Browville, living on Prudence Island, Town of Portsmouth, Newport Co., RI, next to an ALLIN family in the 1790 census -- the same ALLIN family that ends up in Amsterdam, New York!

All of this evidence suggests that:
- there was a close relationship between Benjamin, Richard and Peter Taylor
- these Taylors were from Rhode Island
- these Taylors were closely associated to the ALLEN / ALLIN family of Prudence Island, town of Portsmouth

From what I can discover online, the Taylors of Prudence Island were from the same family as the Taylors of Little Compton. Which leads me back to my original question:

Could Benjamin Taylor of Amsterdam and Brownville be the son of William Taylor & Deborah Gray born in 1761 whose death is not recorded in Rhode Island? If they weren't his parents, then who?

Further, how are Peter and Richard related? Brothers, cousins or uncles?

I would appreciate any and all help! Including names of researchers both free or for hire that could dig into the Little Compton and Portsmouth records to answer these questions.

Thanks!
Mark

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
mawentling 16 May 2012 6:16PM GMT 
LQQKER 12 Jun 2012 4:24AM GMT 
mawentling 12 Jun 2012 11:17AM GMT 
mawentling 28 Oct 2012 1:06AM GMT 
jmax745 16 Dec 2012 10:16PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions