Search for content in message boards

1850 Census Anderson County SC - White Family

Replies: 1

1850 Census Anderson County SC - White Family

Posted: 6 Jun 2014 12:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: White
Genealogy Brick wall help needed!----
I have a Census record that I am pretty sure is for my 3rd Great Grandfather in Anderson South Carolina - 1850. This is my genealogy brick wall! I know this is a long shot........but, does anyone else claim this census record? My 3rd great grandfather is John M White born in Andrerson SC abt 1846 I have this info from his pension application. He moved to Cherokee County Georgia by 1859. I have solid record of him in Georgia, but I know nothing about his parents or siblings. His death certificate states that his Father is unknown and that his Mother is Rebecca Griffin. I cannot confirm his mother or find a father! The Census that is a puzzle to me is ------
Name: John M White
Birth Year: abt 1846
Birthplace: South Carolina
Home in 1850: Eastern Subdivision, Anderson, South Carolina
Family Number: 701
Household Members:
Name Age
Sarah White 55
Adaline White 27
Rebecca White 25
Sarah White 19
William White 10
Margaret White 8
John M White 4
Jackson White 3
James White 1
Mary J White 0
Mary White 0
Sarah White 0

My thoughts on this census, for lack of any better evidence-- -- Rebecca White (mother of John M) age 25 and John M age 4 living with a Sarah White (Rebecca's mother in law?) age 55 in Anderson SC, along with an Adaline White (another daughter in law?) age 27 a Sarah White age (daughter OR another daughter in law) 19 , William 10, Margaret 8, Jackson 3, James 1, Mary J less that one and twins Mary and Sarah less than one.

I do have a 1840 Census for Sarah White, head of household with other members that match these same individuals (10 years earlier) and include 2 males that could have been spouses of Rebecca and Adaline, of course the 1840 census does not include names so it is not a lot of help!

I do not find John or Rebecca at all in 1860 -- I wonder if they missed the census during the move to Georgia?

In 1870 Rebecca White and a new son (Henry J White) (still no husband/father) are living beside John and his family in Cherokee County, GA.

Any hints, tips, thoughts or suggestions are welcome!
Thanks in Advance!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
WilkersonC 6 Jun 2014 6:09PM GMT 
gwendowney 30 Jul 2014 6:38PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic