Search for content in message boards

Family History

Replies: 2

Re: Family History

Posted: 1 Aug 2012 1:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello, Donna,
You might do better looking under a different board, I think. This one is for Cherokee County, SC, not for Cherokee Native Americans.
Okay, so let me see if I can nudge you into the right direction. First off, I can't tell you how many people have grown up with the story of having Native American blood. (my Mama swore it was on her line; my Pop said my 2nd great Grandmother was one. Often it turns out to be just a pleasant family story. I have (proven) Cherokee & Catawba ancestors. It was not easy, so be prepared.
If you are sure you are Cherokee, you might want to check the Cherokee Nation's website. They have a nice tutorial about doing research. Ancestry has the Dawes Rolls...a good place to start looking, since this recorded many names.
With that said, my advice is to NOT start looking right now for Native American blood until you have identified the members of your family line.
Do you have a tree on Ancestry? Work on that and don't limit yourself to one area. Networking is a great tool and it's free!
Even if you have NA blood, you may be barking up the wrong tree (as was my cousin's case). She had been told they were Cherokee on her father's side, but that was wrong. She was NA but belonged to the Saponi tribe of NC (an important difference!).
Also, when looking at records, often people with NA blood either didn't acknowledge it (due to prejudice) or may have been recorded as Black or Colored. Keep that in mind.
I hope this is helpful. Good luck with your research.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Donna 31 Oct 2006 5:43PM GMT 
donownby1 12 Oct 2010 8:50PM GMT 
BarbaraSellet... 1 Aug 2012 7:45PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic