McKinney, Northington, Bailey, Henley, Briggs, Edmunds

Replies: 4

McKinney, Northington, Bailey, Henley, Briggs, Edmunds

Posted: 17 Jul 2000 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 May 2006 7:44AM GMT
Surnames: McKinney, Bailey, Northington, Henley, Jones, Briggs, Edmunds
This is an interesting story.

I learned just today that the McKinneys may be from Chester County SC, possibly by virtue of Samuel McKinney and wife Mary McFadden, or another McKinney.

Below is what I know to date.

Michael NORTHINGTON and Nancy McKINNEY were married March 3, 1803 in CUMBERLAND COUNTY, NC, USA and they are my GGGG Grandparents.

Michael is the son of Samuel Northington IV and Mary JONES. The previous Northingtons were from SURRY/SUSSEX COUNTIES VA and seem to have come into Cumberland County NC approximately 1750.

From the minutes of the Cumberland County NC Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions for April 1779-January 1791 (Jan. 28, 1779) : are two deeds from JOHN ROBESON and his wife (ELIZABETH) to MATTHEW McKINNEY and the deed is proved by S. NORTHINGTON.

Families which seem to be allied in Cumberland County are JONES, McNEILL, EDMUNDS, STERLING, BRIGGS, and possibly BLOUNT/BLUNT.

One Northington Homeplace which belonged to one of the Northington men, probably not Michael but his Grandad or Uncle, etc. is located in the "Raven Rock State Park" in Lillington NC, in what is now Harnett County. The site includes the Northington Road and Northington Ferry across the Cape Fear River.

Two Northington men marry McKinney women in Cumberland County (Michael and Nancy 1803, Jesse Northington and Patsey McKinney 1809).

Two Northington women marry McNeill men in Cumberland County (Malcolm McNeill and Grizella Northington 1822, Joseph McNeill and Winnie Northington 1808).

Michael Northington and Nancy McKinney Northington came to Roaring Springs, CHRISTIAN/TRIGG COUNTIES KY approximately 1808. They came with numerous other family members including Northingtons and McKinneys, some of which settled in the very nearby Montgomery and Robertson Counties of TN, including Port Royal TN.

Their first born is Sarah (Sally) Northington who is my GGG Grandmother, the wife of WILLIAM HENRY JOHNSON of TODD COUNTY KENTUCKY.

THE FOCUS OF THIS MESSAGE: is my endeavor to find the parents, grandparents and further ancestral parents of NANCY McKENNY.

Can you please help me with this quest?

Secondary to the above message, I am asking if you know about the McKinney, McKinnon, McKinnish connection in Cumberland County NC.

My name is Barbara Garrett and I work at the Tennessee State Library and Archives.

Best Regards,
Barbara Garrett
James Patrick III
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
blueiristn 17 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT 
hhdunlapjr 18 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Kerry Leeds 13 Dec 2005 6:24PM GMT 
rcritters 28 Feb 2013 8:12AM GMT 
rcritters 6 Mar 2013 8:29PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions