Search for content in message boards

Chester County -- Pauls Graveyard

Replies: 15

Chester County -- Pauls Graveyard

Posted: 27 May 1999 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Aug 2001 8:21PM GMT
Surnames: Morton, Parkinson, Clark, Blair, Kell, Stormont, Storment, Gaston, Wylie
PAULS CEMETARY, RICHBURG, CHESTER COUNTY, SOUTH CAROLINA
(also known as Anderson Cemetary and possibly Lynns Cemetary or Fayetteville Cemetary)

Phone conversation with George Moore, head of the Chester District Genealogy Society May 24, 1999 revealed the following directions that I will use in late June of 1999 to locate this remote cemetary.

Key names (that I know of) buried here: Kell, Morton, Parkinson, Paul, Blair and many other of the Scotch Covenanter Presbyterian church members in the Rocky Creek Congregation in the late 1700s and early 1800s. This was before this religious sect moved on to Lincoln County, Tennessee as a group, and then later to Randolph and Marion Counties in Illinois.

Traveling North from Columbia, SC or South from Charlotte, NC, make sure you are on Interstate 77. Two exits to Richburg, SC will suffice as the interchanges. Either Hwy. 168/Orrs Road (the southernmost of the two) or Hwy 9 will work.

When you get into Richburg via either interstate exit, get onto Hwy. 901 and head south. The cemetary is located on a small, still possibly-unmarked but hard-surfaced road. Other than the unmarked road, you will NOT need to get off of Hwy. 901.

George said the unmarked road we are looking for will be on the right side, and is the third road on the right once you are south of Orrs Road. For land-marking purposes, he said the first of the three roads on the right side will be Rd. 497. The next road on the right would be marked Rd. 52 (or Old Mill Rd. as it shows up on my map). On your left, you will pass Rd. 331 (may be marked as Rd. 503 also, he said). The next right-hand turnoff will be the road we want to use. To clarify, when he says it is of hard surface, he said he doesn't necessarily mean it is paved, but there has been recent development in this area and it might be. He said most likely it will be dirt/gravel type surface, but easily driven upon.

If you see the Mount Prospect Methodist Church on the left side of Hwy. 901, you've gone too far.

Take a right onto this third road (which he said doesn't show up on most maps). (NOTE: I do however have a road on my computer mapping program that seems to meet the description he has made, and it IS also unnamed on the program.) He said it was a gravel-type road with "white lines".

George said to drive up about 100 feet or so onto this unnamed/unmarked road, and the cemetary is in the woods on the left side. He said he remembers walking roughly south-southeast into the woods and then turning a bit to the east when he found the cemetary. He said there are a bunch of trees around it, kind of like a thicket. Once again though, he said development may have cleared the area out somewhat. Some landmarks to keep an eye out for to let you know you are near the cemetary are some powerlines on the unmarked road. He said there is also a muddy old hunting trail on the left that is very close to the cemetary too, so if you see a little trail, don't try driving down it but that is another landmark. Just park the car on the unmarked road and walk.

If you don't find it immediately, don't worry, you'll find it, he says. It is only a matter of a few hundred feet into the woods, so you will find it. As for the Fall season of the year, it is true that hunting goes on in this area, so he did say to avoid it. There are approximately 60 headstones there, so it isn't all that hidden. Other things I've heard about the literal graveyard are that it has a "Rock Wall" at the site.

Distances to set the car's odometer for (figured by my mapping program).
Heading south on Hwy. 901 from Richburg, SCÂ…Â….
Richburg to Orrs Road ----- 0.9 miles
Orrs Road to Rd. 497 (1st right) ----- 1.0 miles
Rd. 497 to Old Mill Rd./Rd. 52 (2nd right) ----- 0.7 miles
Old Mill Rd./Rd. 52 to Rd. 331 or 503 (left side of road)----- 1.0 miles
UNNAMED ROADS ON RIGHT SIDE
Rd. 331 or 503 to Unmarked No. 1 ---- 0.7 miles
Rd. 331 or 503 to Darby Road (road on left side, marks that you've gone too far) ---- 2.8 miles

The estimation of five to six miles south of Richburg on Hwy. 901? Correct. To be exact, it is 4.3 miles to Unmarked Road No. 1.

GPS LOCATION
Name: Anderson Cemetery (aka Pauls Cemetary)
Type: cemetery
State/County code: 45023
State: SC South Carolina
County: Chester
Geo Coordinates: 343942N 0810037W

When I visit, I will make notes and include them in another message I will post on this county's genweb. Any questions? Email me.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Brian McLaugh... 27 May 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Cathy 18 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Shelba77 4 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT 
jlmac1932 26 Mar 2005 4:40PM GMT 
dickcunn 16 Sep 2006 1:49AM GMT 
Shelba Davis 19 Sep 2006 4:37AM GMT 
Joyce McClure 19 Sep 2006 5:43PM GMT 
GailTerry62 26 Dec 2001 3:10PM GMT 
lurch2341 29 Apr 2002 7:06PM GMT 
Monya 27 Aug 2004 11:19PM GMT 
per page