Search for content in message boards

Descendants of Hugh McMillan

Replies: 19

Descendants of Hugh McMillan

Posted: 19 Oct 1999 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Jul 2001 1:15PM GMT
Surnames: McMillan, Crawford, Thompson, Walker, Alexander
Hugh McMillan was born 1720, in Rasharkin, Antrim, Ireland. He was married twice. I have the name, I think, of one of the wives. I don't know if she is the 1st or 2nd wife. Her name was Mable Crawford. Hugh McMillan may be the son of the Rev. Hugh McMillan who fled Scotland because of religious persecution, migrating to Rasharkin, Antrim, Ireland.

Hugh McMillan, b. 1720, in Rasharkin, Antrim, Ireland was probably the father of the following children:

Henry W. McMillan, Old Barnwell District , SC

Major James William McMillan may have been in the Chester District, SC & was in the Old Barnwell District by 1830

Daniel McMillan - Chester District, SC, Kershaw District,SC, Old Camden District. Daniel received a Rev. War Pension on 7 Jun 1832, in Chester District, SC. This pension is on file at the State Archives, Columbia, SC
Daniel was born 1752, in Antrim, Ireland. This information on Daniel, I obtained from his pension papers.

Daniel McMillan married ca 1780/1781 to Jean Thompson who d. in Chester Co., SC

He ran away from home, when he was 16, because he didn't like his father's 2nd wife & came to the Americas about 1768-1769. Rumors are that his brother Hugh McMillan came with him. His brother may be the Rev Hugh McMillan who migrated from SC to Ohio.

William McMillan, b. ca 1761, in London England, d. 4 Aug 1894, in Chester District, SC, m. Jane Walker, in Ireland.

Alexander McMillan who d. 1809, in Chester District Co.,SC, m. Margaret (?) Alexander could have been in the Old Barnwell District, SC & moved to the Chester District, SC by the time the SC 1790 Census was taken.

Martin McMillan who I think also d. & is buried in Chester District, SC

Hugh McMillan who I think maybe the Rev Hugh McMillan who migrated to Ohio???

Mary McMillan who may have m. a (?) Thompson. I am not sure if she was in Chester District, SC or not or in the Americas

David McMillan - no data

Rumors in our family were that three McMillan brothers migrated to South Carolina before the Revolutionary War. These brothers were Daniel, Henry W. & James William McMillan. I believe that as many as seven brothers, maybe eight brothers came to South Carolina. I don't know if all of the brother came before the Rev. War.

We know that Pvt. Daniel McMillan was a Rev. Soldier. It is indicated that his brothers Henry W. & James William McMillan were Majors. James "Jim" William McMillan was referred to as Major William McMillan. He signed his will as William McMillan, in the will he is referred to as Major McMillan. His will is in the Old Barnwell District, SC. I was looking for the will of Major James McMillan, at the time I didn't know his middle name was William. Some people confuse him with the will of my 3 g-grandfather James McMillan of the Old Barnwell District. Some people confuse William McMillan's will as being the will of his brother Henry W. (whose middle name is also William)McMillan

I would like to get in contact with descendants of any of the above people I have a good bit of infomation on the above mentioned people.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
sybilepierce 19 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Cindy McMillan Franks 31 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT 
sybilepierce 1 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT 
margierichard... 27 Oct 2003 12:22AM GMT 
LeaSullivan 1 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT 
DEVINE 28 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Sandra Locke Wright 29 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Sandra Locke Wright 29 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT 
DEVINE 29 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT 
gwberman 1 Apr 2002 7:37PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions