Search for content in message boards

Question: Where was Wheeling SC, in 1777 ???

Replies: 1

Question: Where was Wheeling SC, in 1777 ???

Posted: 10 Jul 2011 12:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
After all these years of chasing my CAMPBELL line of LA, GA, Carolina's and early VA, I finally have "something" in the way of a paper trail, albeit very faint, and I am in
the beginning stages of trying to center onto a clue dating back to July 23, 1777.

I have a distant cousin (not related to my CAMPBELL line), making a trip in August to the Carolina's, and she has graciously offered to include my Campbell brickwall into
this her latest upcoming Summer's research trip.

I just now checked my driver's copy of Rand McNally, and according to the towns listing ...jumps from WESTVILLE to WHITEHALL. There are no towns starting with "WHE," at all.

This lack of listing of WHEELING, leads me to believe that the community of WHEELING is a town no longer, or has been incorporated into a neighboring town or city, which
....may now be just an area designation.

I am hoping that the name of Wheeling is still in use, but as an area designation, which then could mark the spot of the former community in a specific County.

There are several precedences for this. I've run into this situation before in TX, where the Handley Train Station closed, and the city of Ft. Worth kept the name of
Handley...using for a housing development that replaced the old 1800's Train station.
Knowing this, does give me some hope that I will discover "something" of Wheeling SC.

I am thinking that this may now be a section of a much larger neighboring town or city, or may be considered merely in historical accounts much like "old 96"
currently is.

For the year 1777, does anyone know the general locality and what County the community or town of, Wheeling SC, is or was in??

Could this instead have something to do with Mt. Willing??

Many thanks in advance for any help on this Wheeling SC puzzle,

Lisa
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
scot_belle 10 Jul 2011 6:12PM GMT 
JTrahanUSA 10 Jul 2011 8:32PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions