Search for content in message boards

Thought this was really neat ...Sampit Methodist Church

Replies: 0

Thought this was really neat ...Sampit Methodist Church

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 4:54PM GMT
Classification: Deed
Edited: 19 Jan 2013 4:58PM GMT
Surnames: Watts King Moryd
I sent off for a copy of a plat for John Watts born aprox 1808. (got it from here http://www.archivesindex.sc.gov/)It is for 1,000 acres on gravel gulley Georgetown Dist surveyed 1837. It also notes his neighbors Moryd, and King. But what I really found interesting was the chuch in the middle of the property. *See the attached watts plat.*

I remembered that the historical marker in front of Sampit methodist church mentioned it was founded as a slave mission.

(Front)
This church, formally organized in 1839, had its origins in a slave mission begun in 1786 on Gov. Thomas Boone´s plantation, 3 miles SE. Rev. P.A.M. Williams became its first minister in 1840. The first church, a frame building built the same year, stood 1.5 miles S. The present sanctuary was built on a 5-acre plot donated to the church in 1887 by Benjamin D. Bourne, a member and trustee.

(Reverse)
The present sanctuary, built by the time the congregation acquired this site in 1887, was originally a frame church. It was extensively renovated in 1959-60 and completely covered in brick in 1975-76. Three members of the church later became Methodist ministers: Revs. C.D. Huggins, Jack D. Watts, and John Paul Watts, Sr. Sampit is also the mother church of Oak Grove Methodist Church, founded in 1890

Knowing that the misson was 3 miles south east, per the marker, I pulled up Google maps and found Gravel Gulley! It still exists!.... and there in the middle of the plot of land right, where the plat said it should be were the stone drive posts. *see atached*

what a fun find. I doubt the people living there now realize their drive way markers are over 150 yrs old.

A fun find.
Attachments:

Find a board about a specific topic