Search for content in message boards

Parents of MELVINA A. SINGLETON (m. WILLIAM FRANKLIN BURN[E]S)

Replies: 3

Parents of MELVINA A. SINGLETON (m. WILLIAM FRANKLIN BURN[E]S)

Posted: 17 May 2003 3:43AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Nov 2005 7:37AM GMT
Surnames: SINGLETON, BURN[E]S, CHILDRESS/CHILDERS
One of my family's cherished traditions says that our supposed Cherokee ancestor was in either our SINGLETON or our BURNES line. However, if this tradition is based on fact and not mere myth, then this elusive Cherokee person must have married into the family at some point long before the Dawes-Rolls-types of Native American documentation were created. So for now, I'm just trying to do "regular" genealogy on these lines, rather than attempting to delve into any Native American archives yet.

With that in mind, let me now ask: Has anyone out there come across parents for MELVINA A. SINGLETON b. 01 Jan 1831 in Greenville Co. SC? She m. WILLIAM FRANKLIN BURN[E]S (in some records he's incorrectly listed as BURRIS) in Lumpkin Co. GA on 20 Aug 1848. Their marriage year is given as 1845 in some records, but I think this is highly improbable as it would mean she was only 14, and he only 16, when they married. MELVINA and WILLIAM were my mother's maternal great-grandparents.

Their first 3 children were MARY JANE b. 1849, WESLEY JAMES b. 1850, and GALLOWAY WHITFIELD b. 1852; all 3 were born in Murray/Whitfield Co. GA. Then the family migrated West, first to the Waco (McLennan Co.) TX area, where they lived from 1854 to 1857, and where their 4th child, JOHN ALBERT, was b. in 1855. Finally, they moved north to the Missouri Ozarks, where their 5th and last child, MARTHA 'ELIZABETH' REBECCA, was b. 1858 in Polk Co. MO. MELVINA d. at age 29 on 28 Apr 1860, in Polk Co. MO. Her young son JOHN ALBERT also d. in Polk Co. MO, on 02 Oct 1862.

MELVINA's spouse WILLIAM FRANKLIN BURN[E]S was b. 15 Feb 1829, also in Greenville Co. SC. He was the son of THOMAS J. BURNES, SR. and REBECCA CHILDRESS (sometimes spelled CHILDERS), b. 1801 and 1803, respectively, who were both also in Greenville Co. SC. WILLIAM d. 01 Sep 1917 in Polk Co. MO. By his 2nd wife, MARY JANE PARRISH (whom he m. 16 Sep 1860 in Polk Co. MO), WILLIAM had 7 more children.

My current most promising lead indicates MELVINA may have been a daughter of JOSEPH JAMES SINGLETON (appearing in many records as J.J. SINGLETON), and his wife MARY ANN TERREL[L], who moved from Greenville Co. SC, to Jackson Co. GA, and then on to Lumpkin Co. GA. Apparently JOSEPH was quite prominent in GA, but so far I've been unable to locate a complete list of his children's names, to verify whether or not one of them is "my" MELVINA (or "VINEY", as she was sometimes known).

THOMAS J. BURNES SR.'s father may have been EDMUND BURNES, b.c. 1765 in VA, but again I haven't proven this, nor yet located a complete list of his childrens' names. My CHILDRESS/CHILDERS line dead-ends with REBECCA.

Anyone out there recognize any of these names? Or does anyone have a new research idea for me to pursue on any of these lines? Thanks for any help you can offer -- I'll be happy to share my info, too!

Bettyann
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
TrailBlaizr 17 May 2003 9:43AM GMT 
Terry Woodward 20 Oct 2004 2:03AM GMT 
TrailBlaizr 25 Oct 2004 2:56PM GMT 
paulwatson234 22 Apr 2013 8:27PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic