Search for content in message boards

Conflicting Green Family Data From the 1850 & 1860 Censuses

Replies: 0

Conflicting Green Family Data From the 1850 & 1860 Censuses

Posted: 11 Feb 2013 9:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
The SC Census of 1850 shows my GGrandfather William Green's family with their ages listed as follows:
George (40)
Ester (30)
Narcissa (16)
William (13)
John (10)
Jim (8)
Elizabeth (7)
Rebecca (3)

10 years later, the 1860 census listed this same family of the Glassy Mt. Div. as:
George (75)
Hester (50)
Elizabeth (16) *(eventually married William Gosnell)
Rebecca (12)**(eventually married Morris Gosnell)
Lewis (9)

By 1860, William had left to teach in St. Charles MO where he met and married Elizabeth Turnbaugh. Also, Narcissa was married to Nelson Moss and a new child, Lewis, had been added to the family group.

But look at the age discrepancies of both George and Ester/Hester. Could these simply be errors in transcription?

If not, one way I can make sense of these differences in ages is that if William's father and grandfather were both named George Green and the father is listed there in 1850 while the grandfather heads the family in 1860. After all, 1860 was on the eve of the Civil War and perhaps father George, with sons John and Jim, had already left for training leaving George's father, George Sr. in charge.
But, then, how does that explain the 20 year age jump in 10 years for Ester/Hester unless they, too, were two different people as well.

Any other suggestions? I'd be very grateful to hear from those in the know of the Greens of Greenville Co. SC who may have some helpful clues to solve this puzzle.

Thank you,

Suellen

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions