Search for content in message boards

Catherine "Kitsy" Goff and/or Huggins

Replies: 21

Re: Catherine "Kitsy" Goff and/or Huggins

Posted: 29 Dec 2013 9:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Goff, Huggins, Foxworth, Legette
Hello Phil,
I have just come upon your post from years ago. I appreciate your honest interest in the Alva Goff descendent DNA. Although I am not a descendant of Alva Goff, I am a descendant of Hagar Legette Foxworth, whom I was told was Alva's sister. I wondered how that could be. Alva was mulatto and my grandmother was African descent, though obviously multiracial. I was told she was half native American by my grandmother who actually knew her. I had my DNA analyzed through Ancestry.com and through 23 N Me. To my surprise I was found to be fourth cousin to some Goff and Huggins descendants of Horry County, SC. WOW! I am also part Native American and matched with several Cherokee people and some Mexicans. So who was Catherine? I have consulted with some Goff family members and she appears on no one's tree. Nor does her children. They appear to have no knowledge of her. This is my take on it. I have no proof but I believe she was probably a multiracial individual, who's maiden name was Goff. She had two boys, Henry and Azzuriah that lived with their father Mr. Williamson. Then she had my ancestor, Hagar, who was obviously of African descent. I'm told she was actually a slave. I don't understand how that happened but I plan to visit the county to try to find local records that may help me understand. I have been unable to find Catherine on any census before 1860. Then Catherine had Alva, whom she had no problem acknowledging as her son while she was listed as white and he mulatto. Uncle Alvie, as my family calls him used to visit our grandmother Hagar. They knew him. I don't know of what they knew of Catherine. Then Catherine married Mr. Huggins and had another son, whose descendants DNA has matched mine as well. If you would like to see my DNA results, I would be happy to share them with you. I am not naïve regarding how people want to live their lives, regardless of whether we like what they do or not. The only thing that bothers me is I have no indication that Hagar ever had any relationship with Catherine or any of the others except Alva. That's not to say that she didn't, but it hurts to think that she might have been abandoned. However, she married young and had several children with her husband Isaac Foxworth. You can find them on the census after slavery. Many of her descendants are still in Loris and Mullins, SC. Sincerely, Rebecca
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Cynthia Blair 17 Jul 2007 1:04AM GMT 
PGoff6966 25 Aug 2008 11:49AM GMT 
rscumbo 29 Dec 2013 4:44PM GMT 
Cynthia Blair 30 Dec 2013 12:17AM GMT 
njtdixon 1 Aug 2010 3:42PM GMT 
suzannetf1 22 May 2011 7:29PM GMT 
suzannetf1 22 May 2011 11:57PM GMT 
Cynthia Blair 23 May 2011 2:16AM GMT 
aida1008 31 Jan 2012 7:27PM GMT 
suzannetf1 31 Jan 2012 7:58PM GMT 
per page