Rogers / Martin Cemetery - Horry County, SC

Replies: 9

Re: Rogers / Martin Cemetery - Horry County, SC

Posted: 18 Nov 2012 10:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Martin, Henderson, Rogers, Prince, Sarvis
tarensa,

Thanks so much for your reply!

I was researching this for both myself and another Horry County researcher, to whom I have forwarded your reply. His interest was mostly in the Martins; mine is the Princes.

In 2010, I looked at the County's property records and noted owner names of Sarvis Aiken J (LE) and Sarvis Tammy R. Are you one of those persons?

I've heard the name Aiken Sarvis before, and I'm pretty sure that was from Mr. Tracy and Mrs. Rhoda Alford who once lived on Hwy 308. They are both now deceased.

I have no knowledge as to whom placed the plaque reading "In Memory of Daisy H. Rogers Martin Cemetery Established 1878." It's my understanding that Daisy Rogers is the daughter of Hattie Jane Matin Henderson.

From an extract from the Dillon Herald, Daisy Henderson Rogers was buried at the Martin Family Cemetery in Horry County. The News and Courier (Charleston, SC) states the same.

Priscilla Aquilla Martin Prince is buried there, next to her husband Cornelius J. Prince. He was my great-great-great grandfather on my mother's side. He was the Confederate veteran, I assume, you were referring to. With the help of the Sons of Confederate Veterans (SCV) Litchfield Camp 132, I organized a memorial service for him that took place on Saturday - August 14, 2010. On that date, the cemetery was overgrown. It was quite a surprise, as it was not in such a state during my previous visits in April and May of the same year. I've returned since, and found the cemetery in much better condition. On two occassions, my husband and I have cleaned the gravemarkers in this cemetery. I have no idea who maintains the cemetery, though I was told several years ago that it was once kept by a Meekins lady who might have been a daughter of Daisy Rogers.

My great-great grandfather on my mother's father's side, Arlington Hazard Prince, is the son of Cornelius J. Prince and is buried at Rehobeth.

I'm not sure what it is you are researching, but I would be happy to help if you would like for me to. Just let me know.

Thanks again,
Kathy Smith
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
kathyjrabon 25 Oct 2010 8:50PM GMT 
tarensa 8 Nov 2012 4:03AM GMT 
kathyjrabon 18 Nov 2012 5:25PM GMT 
tarensa 19 Nov 2012 3:17AM GMT 
kathyjrabon 20 Nov 2012 1:17AM GMT 
tarensa 23 Nov 2012 2:44AM GMT 
kathyjrabon 27 Nov 2012 11:57PM GMT 
kathyjrabon 18 Nov 2012 5:32PM GMT 
tarensa 19 Nov 2012 3:14AM GMT