Search for content in message boards

Rogers / Martin Cemetery - Horry County, SC

Replies: 9

Re: Rogers / Martin Cemetery - Horry County, SC

Posted: 7 Nov 2012 9:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
This cemetery is on my property that I have owned since 1972. This property and cemetery have been in my family for over a 100 yrs. I am the fifth consecutive generation to own and live on it.

The owner of the land in 1878 possibly would have been P. C Sarvis, whose Daughter in law, Mrs Aiken Sarvis lived on it until her death in the mid 2000's. P. C Sarvis was born in 1858 in Horry County, Galivants Ferry and is buried in Rehoboth Methodist Cemetery which is about 3 miles from Rogers/Martin Cemetery. P. C would have most likely have owned it in 1878 and is my great great grandfather.

I have lived on this property since 1993 and have been to the graveyard even before that. I have never seen wooden markers.

I am not sure how this graveyard became known as Rogers/Martin as there are no Rogers, Martins nor Princes born into the Sarvis family. The wooden plague that is on the fence is a recent addition (within the last 3-4 yrs) and was not sanctioned by me nor my family, the owners.

In 2008, a Confederate Soldier who was buried was recognized and Marked by the the Govt.

There may have been a church (now long gone) next to the graveyard and may explain how this graveyard came to be but I have been unable to find anyone who has been born and raised in this area who can give me any info on said church. Any persons who could confirm are likely dead.

There is a Daniel B. Sarvis, b 1860, who is buried there in Rogers/Martin Cemetery, who is most likely P. C Sarvis's brother.

This Rogers/Martin Cemetery sits in this tract of land that belonged to my great grandfather Hughey James Sarvis at one point. Hughey Sarvis owned a much larger tract that was over 200 acres. He divided his 200+ tract into 5 tracts of 45 and gave a 45 acre tract to each of his 5 children. The cemetery lies in the midst of tract 4, which I now own.

I have no knowledge of the unmarked graves. Wish I could pass on some helpful info.

I am doing some research for Rehoboth Methodist Cemetery. From what I can see in census records for 1800, 1820, 1840 and 1850 there were Sarvis's, Princes and Rogers in 1800 in this area. I can tell you that in the Rehoboth Cemetery we have a couple of sections in the graveyard that had many wooden markers but many have disappeared (most likely from lawnmowers). Many of the oldest records for Rehoboth have been lost and we have no idea how old nor who is buried in those graves now.

A couple of times a year I go to Rogers/Martin Cemetery and look around. I do not maintain it. I do not know if anyone does but it is not overgrown. Mrs Aiken Sarvis's son, Victor Sarvis may be buried there. He died 18 months ago and I think he may have chosen to be buried there cause it was a free plot.

There are Princes buried in Rehoboth Cemetery. Rehoboth is the oldest and largest cemetery in the immediate area.

If you need any other info I can try to help.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
kathyjrabon 25 Oct 2010 8:50PM GMT 
tarensa 8 Nov 2012 4:03AM GMT 
kathyjrabon 18 Nov 2012 5:25PM GMT 
tarensa 19 Nov 2012 3:17AM GMT 
kathyjrabon 20 Nov 2012 1:17AM GMT 
tarensa 23 Nov 2012 2:44AM GMT 
kathyjrabon 27 Nov 2012 11:57PM GMT 
kathyjrabon 18 Nov 2012 5:32PM GMT 
tarensa 19 Nov 2012 3:14AM GMT 
kathyjrabon 20 Nov 2012 1:15AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions