Search for content in message boards

Pickett family in Bucksville, Horry Co., SC

Replies: 2

Pickett family in Bucksville, Horry Co., SC

Posted: 8 Apr 2013 9:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Pickett, Picket, Buck
I am interested in finding someone who knows about the PICKETT family in Bucksville, Horry, SC. I see them on the 1870 US Census but not on the 1860 US Census, so it is possible they are the slaves of Mr. Buck who operated the saw mill. I'd like to find someone who knows about this area in regard to the slaves. The oldest Pickett I have found is Amos Pickett born ABOUT 1820 in SC.

In a history of Bucksville it says
"When Henry Buck came up the Waccamaw River, he saw the rice fields of the Neck and then he saw the forests of Horry District. Once Buck saw the cypress swamps of the lower Waccamaw, he knew he had found a lumberman’s paradise. There were already sawmills along the stretch of the river he most favored and he went to work for the PICKETT firm. Almost as soon as he set foot on Horry soil, he bought his first slave. Not long after that he bought an interest in the sawmill where he worked and then began to purchase land. It was not long before he was sole owner and engaged in a flourishing trade with his contacts in New England. Sailing ships began to come up the river to Bucksville to load the fine lumber this mill and two others he built produced.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
lindajhess 9 Apr 2013 3:53AM GMT 
africanchoc 21 Nov 2013 11:30PM GMT 
Lindajhess729 8 Mar 2014 6:21AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic