Search for content in message boards

PAYNE FAMILY BIBLE DISCOVERY - Kershaw, SC

Replies: 1

PAYNE FAMILY BIBLE DISCOVERY - Kershaw, SC

Posted: 8 Nov 2005 9:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello to all you Payne researchers! In searching out my own Payne family roots I have been sent a Bible Record that confirms a different lineage than I thought to my ancestors. Here is my story:

My great-great grandfather was BANYAN PAYNE (b. 1800 in Kershaw County, SC, died 1878 in Tipton County, TN). He was the son of DANIEL PAYNE (1780-1807 ... died in Tattnall County, GA). I was under the impression from looking at various internet genealogies that DANIEL was perhaps the last child born to NEHEMIAH PAYNE, born 1733 in Dorchester County, MD and moved first to Edgefield, SC then dying at the ripe old age of 107 in Hall County, GA.
Just WHY Daniel and his siblings have been tacked onto the genealogy of this Maryland born man is a mystery to me. Perhaps people have thought that all Paynes in South Carolina may have come from a single source or something. This is NOT the case!

Here is the Bible record, sent to me from "The Payne Family Bible". It was a separate set of worn pages tucked in yet another Family Bible, the "Fletcher Family Bible". I will be listing various names and dates actually recorded:

DEATHS
JOHN PAYNE --- died October 27, 1780
ELIZABETH PAYNE, wife of John Payne --- died Sept. 20, 1783
OLIVE PAYNE, dau of John & Eliz - died Nov 11, 1780

MARY PAYNE, daughter of John & Elizabeth - born Aug 2, 1757
KEZIAH PAYNE, dau of John Payne & Eliz - born Feb 16, 1759
RACHAEL PAYNE, dau of John Payne & Eliz - b. Jan. 14, 1762
ARCHELOUS PAYNE, son of John & Eliz - b. Dec. 26, 1765
OLIVE PAYNE, dau of John & Eliz - b. Jan 7, 176_
ZACHARIAH PAYNE, son of John & Eliz - b. April 9, 1767
NAOMI PAYNE, dau of John & Eliz - b. Apr. 22, 1769
DANIEL PAYNE, son of John & Eliz - b. Nov. 14, 1780

ARCHELAUS PAYNE the son of BENJAMIN PAYNE and REKECCA his wife was born February 25, 1831

(I have a QUESTION: WHO is the BENJAMIN PAYNE mentioned above, and how is he related to this line of Paynes??)

CONCLUSIONS from the above: Daniel Payne and his siblings have different parents than I thought: John Payne and his wife Elizabeth.

THIS John Payne (above, the father of the others) is NOT the John Payne that served in the Kershaw Rangers during the Revolutionary War ... that man was listed as being 22 years old at the time of his enlistment in 1775. Obviously, from the given dates of John's children, above, THIS John Payne was probably born in the 1730's. From Kershaw County WPA records, I find that this John Payne was a BLACKSMITH (based on the claim of his son Archelous to obtain some of John's land after his death).

Family lines that sent shoots off of the John Payne children listed above include the Zachariah Payne descendants who moved to Pontotoc County, Mississippi. Zachariah died about 1853 and took most of his family with him. He married a gal by the name of Sarah, but I don't know her last name. Some say it might have been "Swilley".

BANYAN AND WYLIE PAYNE moved with their mother to Morgan County, Alabama where she died in 1825. Both BANYAN AND WYLIE married daughters of JOHN OWEN who wrote a will recorded in Lafayette County, Mississippi. But neither of these sons in law ever lived in Mississippi that I can tell. Instead, they moved to TIPTON COUNTY, TN where they lived out the remainder of their lives and had several offspring.

Other families: Rachel Payne married at least three times. Her first husband died before 1800 and was SAMUEL BELTON. None of their children outlived their mother. Second marriage was to (I believe) ARCHIBALD WATSON who died in 1803. Finally, she married DAVID G. LEIGH and left a will, dated 1846 and proved in 1849 leaving bequests of slaves (mostly) to her 2 remaining living brothers: ARCHELOUS and ZACHARIAH. She also mentions in her will her nephews and a neice, sons and daughter of her brother DANIEL (who died in 1807): BANYAN PAYNE, WYLIE PAYNE, and ELIZABETH (PAYNE)BETTS. Others mentioned were ALLEN STEWART who married a daughter of her sister Naomi(Payne)Swilley, and several children of JANE SWILLEY and ELIZABETH WILSON (both were daughters of Naomi Payne and her husband John Swilley, Sr.)

Is anyone out there related to these Paynes, the children of John and Elizabeth Payne? Please contact this board or write me in person at indygrandma@hotmail.com

Steve Payne, a researcher of the PHILLIP PAYNE family from North Carolina and then Kershaw County, SC believes that the JOHN PAYNE, above, was PHILLIP's brother. They moved to Kershaw "together" in the late 1740's and were closely related to the other Payne families noted on the 1790 census. Not sure how they are all related, but they seem to be.

Let's put this puzzle together ... and go beyond it to find parents of JOHN and PHILLIP (probably from Virginia)!

Thanks! ... Pat Iverson
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
bigskygrandma 8 Nov 2005 4:00PM GMT 
AGNES PAYNE BELL 29 Nov 2005 1:31AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions