Search for content in message boards

Afrcan American/ Cherokee indian families

Replies: 4

Re: Afrcan American/ Cherokee indian families

Posted: 23 Feb 2014 2:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ray, Lyles, Thompson, Rice, Meadows, Nesbitt and Stephens/Stevens
From my experience researching my family tree and going by family stories about my great-great grandparents with Native American ancestry--it's hard to discover that part. This is what I did, I ordered a kit through 23andMe. When I received my results in 6-8 weeks, there's a professor people recommended to break down the tribe/country from your DNA. My son and I both had a small percentage of Native American blood, but no tribe results. I'm from Spartanburg SC and my family originated from Laurens and Union SC. I understand from history books and other online sources that at one time the Cherokee Indians lived in these parts. Hunting game was fruitful for them and when the Europeans came over and discovered this among other things, that's when they drove the Cherokee Indians out from this area up to North Carolina. My husband's family has Cherokee Indian blood as well and his family lived in the Little Africa community. That community is located not far from the North Carolina line (near Spindale, Rutherfordton, ect.) So, it makes sense that most African Americans from the Upstate have Native American history. Locating that proof on census records is very hard and family stories plus dna is all that we can go by. I was actually surprised that the professor was able to detect a small percentage of Native American history from our DNA. I do hope you'll find that information. It's hard as an African American to track down anything that will give us some insight in to our history, depending on the slave owners if they kept good records in wills and bill of sales. Good luck to you and hopefully my little tidbit helped you some. My family: Ray, Lyles, Thompson, Rice, Meadows, Nesbitt and Stephens/Stevens
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Andrewgreer64 10 Sep 2011 12:07AM GMT 
sebastian_flo... 22 Feb 2014 7:42AM GMT 
KarenMeadowsR... 23 Feb 2014 9:33PM GMT 
Bobhist 23 Feb 2014 10:13PM GMT 
sebastian_flo... 27 Feb 2014 5:54PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic