Search for content in message boards

Help with Rogers Family

Replies: 2

Re: Help with Rogers Family

Posted: 19 Apr 2013 11:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Apr 2013 11:30AM GMT
Surnames: Rogers, Hagans, Carter, Hampton, Harrell
Sorry it didn't send me an alert to your reply! I can't believe that I have not checked this board in over a year!

So yes that is my family, Matilda Rogers is James Millington Roger's sister who married Eliza Jane Hampton's brother; George Charles Hampton. The 1850 census shows that the families don't live far from each other. Although the Rogers are listed under their adopted name of Hagans.

All four Rogers kids James Milington, Matilda Ann, Catherine Amelia, & Cambyses "Cam" were taken in by Catherine Carter Hagans, their mother's friend about 1848 (that's when she rewrote her Will to include the Rogers kids).

As for the two Martha Rogers, James M. & Eliza J. Rogers have a kid that is listed as Martha M. Rogers in the 1880 census. I don't know why she is listed as Martha but that is Mary Ellen Rogers born 23 Aug 1871. She Married Robert Stewart Carter around 1892 in SC or NC. They both were from SC but moved to Wilmington, NC, he worked on the Railroad.

The 2nd Martha I have as the daughter of Cambyses "Cam" Rogers and Frances "Fannie" Baliey.

Eliza Jane Hampton Rogers and her daughter Laura Alaphare Jane Rogers are both buried at Bethel Free Will Baptish Church along with some cousins. I don't know where James M. Rogers is buried as he died 1876-80.

Thanks for writing back and for the help!
If you want any of the info I have just ask, although it is mostly the generations down the tree not up as I can't get back past the adoption.

Thanks again,
Kim Southerland
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
suzz1962 26 Aug 2011 3:58AM GMT 
rebartlb 10 Sep 2011 1:36AM GMT 
suzz1962 19 Apr 2013 5:28PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic