STUBBS OF GLOUCESTER COUNTY

Replies: 1

BRINDA K HALL (View posts)
Posted: 10 Apr 2001 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: STUBBS
I AM A STUBBS DESCENDENT AND HAVE TO SAY THAT MOST OF MY BEST FAMILY SEARCH DAYS HAVE BEEN DUMB LUCK. ONE NIGHT LAST WEEK ON LINE, I HAPPENED ACROSS HISTORICAL MARKERS OF GLOUCESTER COUNTY. I LOOKED AT A BUNCH OF THEM – WELL THIS IS NICE, BUT WHAT’S ON TV TONIGHT? WELL, THERE IS JUST ONE MORE TO LOOK AT – FOUND SOMETHING! HISTORICAL MARKERS Q 10A AND Q 10B – CAPPAHOSIC – “HERE IS CAPPAHOSIC, WHERE A FERRY WAS ESTABLISHED EARLY IN THE EIGHTEENTH CENTURY, ON THE OLD CHARTS………JOHN STUBBS PATENTED THE CAPPAHOSIC TRACT IN 1652 AND 1702 AND A FEW YEARS LATER BUILT THIS THE “CAPPAHOSIC HOUSE” WHICH HAS CLIPPED GABLES AND INSIDE CHIMNEYS WITH EIGHT UNIQUE CORNER FIREPLACES”. WENT TO GLOUCESTER SUNDAY AFTERNOON - THE HOUSE IS THERE! LOOKS GREAT – HAS BEEN PRESERVED, RECONSTRUCTED, ETC. BY VIRGINIA SOCIETY COLONIAL DAMES XVII CENTURY. A DOCTOR LIVES THERE NOW – WHAT A FIND! IN THE BOOK “THE HERITAGE OF VIRGINIA” THE STORY OF PLACE NAMES IN THE OLD DOMINION BY JAMES HAGEMANN – UNDER CAPPAHOSIC – “A HOUSE AND WHARF WERE BUILT HERE IN 1712 BY CAPTAIN JOHN STUBBS WHO ALSO WAS LICENSED TO OPERATE STUBB’S FERRY. THIS IS A CONVENIENT PLACE TO CROSS BETWEEN THE GREAT ESTATES ALONG THE NORTH BANK OF THE YORK AND THE ROAD FROM CHISKIAK TO WILLIAMSBURG. THE TOLL ALLOWED UNDER THE LAW OF 1748 WAS ONE SHILLING, THREE PENCE FOR A HORSE AND RIDER, ABOUT THE PRICE OF A VERY GOOD MEAL IN THOSE DAYS.”
TOOK SOME PICTURES OF THE PUBLIC BOAT RAMP – WHERE THE FERRY HAD TO HAVE BEEN – AND THE HOUSE – HEY, THERE HAS TO BE AN OLD CEMETARY AROUND HERE. BACK OUT CAPPAHOSIC ROAD (RT 618) LEFT ON HICKORY FORK ROAD (RT 614) TO A DIRT LANE – VALLEY FRONT LANE – FIND THAT POND (SHOWN IN MY ADC MAP BOOK) THERE IS A CEMETARY – AN OLD STUBBS FAMILY CEMETARY! FOUGHT SOME BRIARS – TOOK SOME PICTURES – SOME OF THE STONES ARE HARD TO READ – WE NEED TO GO BACK WITH SOME TRACING PAPER TO GET MORE INFO. FOUND MOST OF THESE “VALLEY FRONT STUBBS” IN THE BOOK “THE DESCENDANTS OF JOHN STUBBS OF CAPPAHOSIC, GLOUCESTER COUNTY, VIRGINIA” BY DR. WILLIAM CARTER STUBBS WRITTEN ABOUT 1900 (?) (THIS BOOK IS IN THE GLOUCESTER COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY).
WOULD LOVE TO CORRESPOND WITH YOU – MAYBE MEET SOME GLOUCESTER COUSINS. I WAS BORN AND RAISED IN NEWPORT NEWS, VA AND TRACED MY MARLBORO COUNTY, SC AND SCOTLAND COUNTY, NC STUBBS BACK UP TO GLOUCESTER, VA.
BRINDA K HALL NEWPORT NEWS VA 757-599-3335 FAX 757-873-3299
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
BRINDA K HALL 10 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT 
moore5620 21 Mar 2014 2:52AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic