Search for content in message boards

1830 (year of death) Moses Parker of Marlboro Co., S. C., (place of death)

Replies: 6

1830 (year of death) Moses Parker of Marlboro Co., S. C., (place of death)

Posted: 11 Nov 2006 3:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Parker, Clark, Sands
I am looking to confirm/refute a connection between Moses Parker and 1811 Nathaniel Parker of Sumner Co., Tenn., and also 1851 Tristram Parker of Weakley Co., Tenn. I have essentially no access to Marlboro Co. documents from here, so any better readings would also be appreciated. These people moved around a great deal, and did not stay anywhere very long. Any additions/corrections/deletions welcome.

Descendants of John Parker[1]

1. JOHN1 PARKER was born 1700, and died before 11 November 1760 in Hampshire Co., Virginia. He married ELIZABETH TALLIAFERRO.

Last Will and Testament of John Parker[2]

In the name of God, Amen, the Twenty-eighth day of September Seventeen hundred and sixty. I John Parker of the County of Hampshire and Colloney of Virginnia farmer being verry sick and weak in body but of perfect mind and memory thanks be giving unto God. Therefore and calling unto mind the mortality of my body and knowing that it is appointed for all men once to Die Do make and ordain this my last will and testament that is to say: Principally and first of all I give and recommend my soul into the hands of almighty God that gave it and my Body I Recommend to the earth to be buried in Christian manner all the Difersion of my Executores Nothing Doubting Butt all the general resurrection. I shall receive the same again. By the mighty power of God and as Touching such worldly estate where with it has pleased God to Bless me with in this World I give devise and dispose of the same in the following manner and first I give and Bequeath unto Elisabeth Parker my dearly Beloved wife one third part of all my estate both real and personal also I give and Bequeath unto everyone of my children an equal part of the rest of my estate both real and personal and to their heirs or assigns and also I give and Bequeath unto my Grandson Thomas Parker an equal part with the rest of my children. Signed sealed and delivered and confirmed to be the last will and testament of John Parker. In presence of us the subscribers.

His

John Parker

Mark

Proven in Hampshire County 11 November 1760.[3]

This defense was located on Lot #44 of the Fairfax South Branch survey...two and one half miles southeast of Springfield, WV…[4]

On November 9, 1756, the "fort at Parker's on the South Branch" was included with the list of defenses extending across the VA frontier, and it was stated to be ten miles from Ashby's fort on Patterson's Creek and was garrisoned with thirty men.

On June 13, 1756, while at Fort Cumberland, Washington wrote to Captain Robert McKenzie ordering him to instruct Lieutenant Nugent of the King George militia to immediately proceed with his command to John Parker's on the South Branch and while there, not only protect the inhabitants about the fort but to also assist them in harvesting their crops...

Fort Parker was named for John Parker, the owner of the real estate upon which it was constructed, he having purchased Lot #44 consisting of 350 acres from Thomas Lord Fairfax on July 24, 1749....The foundation stones supporting the buildings can still be seen at the location. About 200 feet north of the fort is an ancient cemetery, the graves marked with native stone, but without inscriptions of any kind. The persons buried there are unknown. It may have been a Parker family cemetery and John Parker, the early settler might be interred therein. Since the gravestones are unmarked, it could well have been a burial ground for the Parker family slaves.

Indians were in the vicinity of this fort on several occasions during the war. In September, 1756, Ensign Charles Smith of the Sixth Company of the VA Regiment, while on a scout with twelve men on the south Branch and in the vicinity of Fort Parker, encountered a band of Indians and after a short skirmish, one savage was killed and Smith's men captured several scalping knives, together with four French muskets.

John Parker died in 1760 before the Indian troubles were over. He left surviving his wife, Elizabeth, who later married Thomas McGuire; four sons, Robert, Richard, Nathaniel and Aaron; two daughters, Elizabeth, who married John Hall (sic) and Catherine, who married William Forman.

Smith relates this John Parker to the son of Nathaniel Parker, born 16 May 1651 in Reading, Middlesex Co., Mass., who died there 7 December 1737, and his wife, Bethia Polley, b. 12 Feb 1658, Roxbury, Suffolk Co., Mass, d. 23 Aug 1748, Reading Middlesex Co., Mass. The basis for this seems to be the similarity of y-DNA results for descendants of this man with descendants of John Parker, who died 1760 in Hampshire Co., Va. I will note the connection here, but not record it, pending further data on the connection. While not impossible, this is not the "usual" pattern. Another student of this question relates him to 1687 Robert Parker of "Old" Rappahannock Co., Va., who was thought to be a son of 1727 Richard Parker of Henrico Co., Va. This Richard was apparently the immigrant, and was a son of James Parker and Elizabeth Buller, daughter of Sir Richard Buller of Shilingham.[5]

Children of JOHN PARKER and ELIZABETH TALLIAFERRO are:

2. i. NATHANIEL2 PARKER, b. 1724, Virginia; d. 1811, Sumner Co., Tenn..

ii. ROBERT PARKER.

iii. RICHARD PARKER.

iv. AARON PARKER.

v. ELIZABETH PARKER.

vi. CATHERINE PARKER.

2. NATHANIEL2 PARKER (JOHN1) was born 1724 in Virginia, and died 1811 in Sumner Co., Tenn.. He married (1) ANN CLAYTON. She was born 1726 in Gloucester Co., Va., and died 1791 in Sumner Co., Tenn. He married (2) MARY RAMSEY BLEDSOE 4 December 1791 in Sumner Co., Tenn.

The paper record on this family is confusing given the multiple locations for the births that seem established. However, as is clear from the better documented life of John Parker, this family moved around a lot, and were Baptist missionaries. The connection to New England is based upon recent Y-DNA testing that establishes homology between proved descendants of the New England immigrants and those of the Hampshire Co., Va., family. However, no lineal descendant of 1830 Moses Parker of Marlboro Co., S. C., has apparently been tested, so this lineage is not as secure as might be desired.

Data on the family taken from Smith[6] and Armstrong.[7] The sketch about the Indian Wars on the frontier involving John Parker probably explain why Nathaniel Armstrong and his family were apparently in Baltimore for the births of several children during this time.

Nathaniel Parker was born in Hampshire, VA, between 1724 and 1730.[8] He served under Washington in the attack of the French at Duquesne. He also served under Captain Jack against the Indians. He was fond of adventure as were most men of this day, and wandered through the wilderness of Pennsylvania and Northwest VA fearless of Indian foes. He may be classed with the long hunters as he spent much of his time hunting and exploring; being out often by himself for long periods of time. He made several journeys from his native State to the Cumberland country and back. While in Sumner County, he spent most of his time at Greenfield. Before the Indian troubles ceased, he removed his young children (his wife being dead) to Sumner Country and built a house near Greenfield. That house is still standing and is occupied by Mr. Robert Bryson.

Some years after the death of Colonel Anthony Bledsoe, Mr. Parker married the widow, he being 63 at the time and she 60 years of age. He died in 1803 and was buried near the site of the old Morgan Fort on land now belonging to a Mr. Johnson. "Nathaniel Parker had seven sons. The three eldest, John, Thomas and Richard married sisters, Misses Rogers, members of the same family as General George Rogers Clark. The eldest, John, never came to Tennessee. The other sons were: Nathaniel, Jr., Isaac, Aaron and Robert. From these sons of Nathaniel Parker have descended many prominent people of Sumner County and elsewhere. George W. Parker was a lawyer of eminence at Gallatin. He went to Missouri where he died. His wife was the sister of Honorable Batte Peyton. Hon. James M. Head, former Mayor of Nashville, Tenn. and Doctor Head of Sumner County.

Children of NATHANIEL PARKER and ANN CLAYTON are:

3. i. MOSES3 PARKER, b. 26 August 1744, Hampshire Co., Virginia; d. 12 November 1830, Marlboro Co., S. C.

ii. MARY PARKER.

iii. ELIZABETH PARKER, b. about 1745.

iv. DANIEL PARKER, b. 15 March 1749/50, Culpeper Co., Va.; d. 4 December 1844, Anderson Co., Texas; m. MARTHA DIXON, 11 March 1802.

v. ISAAC PARKER, b. about 1755, Baltimore, Md.; d. 1803, Sumner Co., Tenn.

vi. THOMAS PARKER, b. 8 January 1757, Baltimore, Md.; d. 18 December 1819; m. SUSAN MARY ROGERS.

vii. JOHN PARKER, b. 6 September 1758, Baltimore, Md.; d. 19 May 1836, Fort Parker, Limestone Co., Texas; m. (1) MARTHA DUTY, about 1776, Culpeper Co., Va.; m. (2) SARAH WHITE, November 1779, Culpeper Co., Va.; b. 10 July 1759, Culpeper Co., Va.

Daniel Parker moved with his parents from Virginia to Tennessee, still later to Illinois. He was ordained as a Baptist Minister in 1806. He was elected Senator from Clark and Crawford Counties to the third General Assembly of Illinois on the 7th say of August, 1826. With the intention of organizing a church, he, his brother James and perhaps his father, went to Texas in 1832. Texas under the Mexican rule would not allow any church to form in Texas except the Catholic Church. Daniel would not give up and went to see Stephen F. Austin, who told Daniel that he could not start up a church in Texas, but if he already had a church when he got there, he would be allowed freedom of worship. The Parkers headed back to Illinois and the Pilgrim Church was formed, On the rolls of that Primitive Baptist Church were the following : Elder Daniel Parker; Patsy Parker; John Parker; Julian Crist; Rachel Crist; Sallie Brown; and Phoebe Parker....It was agreed that they were to have their first meeting in the home of Elder Daniel Parker. They met on the 11 the day of August 1833 and at that time, four more members were received. This made the little church eleven members. By the time this little church headed to Texas, it was made up of friends and neighbors to have a wagon train of twenty-five strong. The minutes of the church on the 20th day of October 1833, which was held in Claiborne Parish, Louisiana, records the following new members, Elder Garrison Greenwood; Richard Eaton and his wife, Polly; Joseph Jordan; Nancy Faulkenberry; Rachel Eaton; and Elizabeth Eaton. When the meeting adjourn, it was signed by Elder Daniel Parker, Moderator; Robert Davidson, Clerk. They arrived in Austin's Colony on the 28th day of January, 1834. This little church finally settled near present day Elkhart in Anderson County. Daniel Parker, his wife and many relatives are buried in the church cemetery near the church, which still exist. Daniel's son, Benjamin, succeeded him as Pastor of the church. Many members of the Parker family were killed by the Comanche Indians and several were kidnapped by them, the most famous being Cynthia Ann, daughter of Silas and Lucy (Duty) Parker. She was raised by them and after she was married and had a family, two boys and one girl, the Parkers kidnapped her back along with her little girl, but Cynthia had become to love the Indians and their way of life. Her little girl soon died and Cynthia Ann grieved herself in an early grave. After peace finally came, her son came for her remains and took her back to Oklahoma to be buried among the people she had come to love. She was brought back by funds granted by the United States Government in 1910. The rest of the money was used to erect a monument in her memory.[9]

The Parker's Creek area was settled in 1804 by Moses Parker and his family when he and his uncle, Elder John Parker, received permission from the Governor of Georgia to leave Elbert County to visit the "Natchez Indian Territory."[10] Their family eventually established the Turnbull Primitive Baptist Church in 1806 and remains the oldest continuously meeting church in Dickson County. Elder John Parker was a Primitive Baptist Church missionary who moved from place to place establishing churches. According to church records, Moses' father, Daniel Parker, was the Turnbull Baptist Church's first minister. Moses received a land grant from James Robertson of Davidson County dated August 27, 1808, in payment for 6 months service in the late regiment. "When he landed at his destination all he had was two horses which bore the household goods, a rifle, chopping axe, hand saw, drawing knife, wife, and 4 children. He quickly built a cabin and a mill, and cleared a considerable farm in which he cultivated and raised plenty of provisions for home consumption." (Hickman Pioneer, 1887). Elder John Parker soon left to spread the Gospel in Crawford County, Illinois, and later to Limestone County, Texas. It was there that he met his Maker at the hands of the Comanche Indians during the raid on Fort Parker on May 19, 1836. His granddaughter, Cynthia Ann Parker, was captured and went to live with the tribe for many years, later marrying the great chief, Peta Nocona, and giving birth to Prairie Flower and the great Comanche chief, Quanah Parker.

Back in Dickson County, Tennessee, Parker's Creek was named for Moses after he killed a bear and cut his name in a tree in 1808. An early Dickson County land deed dated 1827 and signed by Moses Parker refers to the "waters of Parker's Mill Creek" in its survey. After Moses' death in 1852, his daughter, Indiana Territory Parker and her husband, Daniel Spencer, remained here and raised a family. The earliest documentation establishing the operation as Spencer's Mill appear just before the Civil War in 1856. The mill was operated by Daniel and Indiana's son, Samuel Spencer, as a water turbine driven corn and flour mill. In order to grind corn and wheat for local farmers in this area, French burr stones were bought and shipped for $14.14 from overseas and used as ballasts for weight during the crossing of the Atlantic.

viii. RICHARD PARKER, b. about 1761; m. NANCY ROGERS.

ix. SUSANNAH PARKER, b. 9 August 1762; d. 25 March 1764.

x. NATHANIEL PARKER, b. 1763; m. SARAH ROGERS.

xi. SUSAN PARKER, b. 25 March 1764, Baltimore, Md.; d. about 1816, Estill Co., Ky.; m. JOHN DAUGHTREE.

xii. ISAAC PARKER, b. about 1766.

xiii. AARON PARKER, b. about 1766.

xiv. ROBERT PARKER, b. about 1770.

3. MOSES3 PARKER (NATHANIEL2, JOHN1) was born 26 August 1744 in Hampshire Co., Virginia, and died 12 November 1830 in Marlboro Co., S. C. He married (1) NANCY ANN THOMAS. She was born 4 September 1779. He married (2) NANCY SANDS about 1768 in North Carolina. She died about 1800 in Marlboro Co., S. C.

Moses Parker "was twice married, his second wife being Miss Thomas" and also "one of his daughter by the first marriage became the wife of that staunch old Whig, the celebrated Joshua Ammons, a man of great firmness of character and solid worth." This is the only part of the information above that I have documented so far, other than to find Joshua Ammons, Rev War Pvt. married Frances Parker on the NSDAR Patriot Index.[11]

The children by his first wife seem to range in age from 1764-1786, while the second set of children seem to range from 1805 to 1821.[12] Since we have a birth date for Tristram of May 1795, this suggests he was one of the last children of Nancy (Mary) Sands, and that Mary Sands died about 1800. This would make Nancy Thomas about 21 when she married, which seems reasonable.

Moses Parker's 2nd wife, Nancy, named her 11 offspring in her will so that has been my basis for dividing the children into marriage 1 and marriage 2 groups. Moses Parker died without a will. The court division of his property names these ll children plus 8 more. So there were 3 who were not living, already provided for, or disinherited maybe at the time of his death. These 3 included Moses, Jr. and Tristram who have been proven by other researches and Jesse who is a witness to a deed for land from Moses Parker to someone else (but nothing identifies him as a son in this). No other reference to Jesse has been found.[13]

Moses Parker is in the 1820 Census for Marlboro Co., S. C.[14]

Moses Parker was buried in the Moses Parker Cemetery, McColl, Marlboro Co., S. C.[15]

Court of Equity division of Moses Parker’s land, 1834 (Marlboro Co., SC, Wills, Book A).[16]

We, Charles Manship, Isaac Pipkin, Joshua Fletcher, Commissioners Appointed by the Court of Equity for Cheraw District to divide the lands of Moses Parker, deceased, between Nancy Parker, widow of the deceased and Sarah Slay, Wife of Thomas Slay, Esther Leggett, Mary Adams, wife of Richard Adams, John Parker, Judea Newton, wife of Younger Newton, Sr., Anna James, wife of William James, Kiddy Waters, wife of James Waters, Lewis Parker, Daniel Parker, Nancy Parker, Philip Parker, Elizabeth Parker, Emen Parker, William Parker, Wright Parker, Harris Parker, Amanda Parker, each a share after the widows, and to Kiddy Graham, wife of Windsor Graham, daughter of Elizabeth Adams, a half share --have been upon the said lands with a surveyor - and find it to contain to resurvey 4234 acres in the whole part in Marlborough district and a part in Richmond County, North Carolina and valued the whole at $6184.50. And having the joint concurrence of John Graham, George Wright, and Nathaniel Gibson, Commissioners appointed by the County Court of Richmond aforesaid for the purpose aforesaid we have divided the said lands in the following manner (Viz.). We assign to Nancy Parker, the widow, 1390 acres in Plat A No 1 for her third part. We assign to Amanda Parker 131acres in the same Plat marker No 2 and to Harris Parker 122 acres marked No 3 and to Wright Parker 131 acres marked No 4 and to William Parker 122 acres marked No 5 and to Arena Parker 126 acres marked No 6 and to Nancy Parker 133 acres marked No 7, all in the same Plat, we assign to Emen Parker 115 acres in Plat B

marked No 1, we assign to Judea Newton, the wife of Younger Newton, 122 acres marked No 2 in the same Plat. We assign to Elizabeth Parker the whole of Plat C being by estimation 97 acres. We assign to Kiddy Walters [Waters] 175 acres on Redy Creek it being part of Plat D marked No 1 Sally Slay 281 acres marked No 2 in same Plat, we assign to Mary Adams 262 acres No 3 in the same plat. We assign to John Parker and Lewis Parker each fifty --- on Cat Fish Bay containing 276 acres and to Kiddy Graham one fifth part of the same tract represented by Plat E in Marion --- District divided by them or their legal agents at pleasure also that by and with our consent the Commissioners aforesaid appointed by Richmond Court have assigned a tract of land 749 acres in Richmond County aforesaid to Anna James, Esther Leggett, Daniel Parker, and Philip Parker to be divided or sold by them or their legal agents a Plat of which in hereunto annexed marked F all of which will clearly appear by to the aforesaid six Plats hereunto annexed. Certified by Nathan Thomas, Deputy Suryeyor of Marlborough District

witness our hands and seal this 1lth of December 1834 and 59 years of American Independence.

Charles Manship

Isaac Pipkin

Joshua Fletcher

Done by me Lewis Parker

This copy of the original return made by the Commissioners appointed by the Court of Equity

The fact that the land was located across the state line into Richmond Co., N. C., explains the following item. George Wright married Sabra Pate, and died in Richmond Co., NC Sep 1836. He owned a fourteen hundred acre tract adjoining the land of the "heirs of Moses Parker, Cyrus Jones, Thorogood Pate, and Samuel Wright."[17] The Pate family also had land that straddled the border, and, of course, Stephen Pate's family ended up in the 12th District of Weakley Co., as did Tristram Pate and his family. I doubt this was a coincidence. It also suggests that the various Weakley County Parker families with ties to North Carolina may include some of the other sons of Moses Parker, but I cannot establish this from analysis of the 1850 Census, which lists place of birth.

Children of MOSES PARKER and NANCY THOMAS are:

i. ARENA4 PARKER, m. THOMAS NELSON GIBSON.

ii. EMMON PARKER, m. SARAH ANN MCPHERSON.

iii. HARRIS PARKER.

iv. NANCY PARKER, m. JOSHUA FLETCHER; b. 25 June 1796.

v. WRIGHT PARKER.

vi. LEWIS PARKER, m. ELIZABETH PIPKIN, about 1833; b. 3 October 1809.

vii. DANIEL PARKER, m. SARAH BUNDY, 24 December 1848.

viii. PHILIP J. PARKER.

ix. ELIZABETH PARKER, m. BENARGY PATE.

x. WILLIAM PARKER.

xi. AMANDA PARKER, b. 1821, Marlboro Co., S. C.; m. JOHN OWEN DAVID, about 1837, South Carolina.

Children of MOSES PARKER and NANCY SANDS are:

4. xii. TRISTRAM4 PARKER, b. 10 May 1795, Marlboro Co., S. C.; d. 23 October 1851, Weakley Co., Tenn.

xiii. SARAH PARKER, m. THOMAS SLAY; d. 1840.

Thomas Slay submitted an application for a Revolutionary War Pension.[18]

Thomas Slay Jr. was born c1761 in Queen Annes Co., MD, one of three sons of Thomas Slay Sr. and Frances Ricketts. The family moved to Anson Co., NC, c1770. Both Thomas Slay Sr. and Jr. fought in the Rev. War. After the war, Thomas Slay Sr. moved to Richmond (now Scotland) Co., NC. Thomas Slay Jr. married Sarah Parker, a daughter of Moses Parker of Marlboro Co., SC, c1783. They lived in SC before returning to Anson Co., NC, in the mid to late 1790's. In 1826, a widower, he followed his children to DeKalb Co., GA, where he lived with his son, Noah Slay. In the late 1830’s, he moved to Murray Co., Ga., and lived with his daughter and son-in-law, Ann and Jordan Webb, until his death in late 1840.

Georgia 23285, Thomas Slay of DeKalb County in the State of Ga. who was a private in the _____ commanded by Captain _____ of the Regt commanded by Col. Malmay in the So. Car. line for 15 months. Inscribed in the Roll of Georgia at the rate of 50 Dollars per annum to commence on the 4th day of March, 1834. Certificate of Pension issued the 18 day of Dec 1833, Clerk Wm Ezzard Decatur, Ga. Arrears to the 4th of Sep 1833 - $125 and Semiannual allowance ending 4 Mar 1834 - $25 for a total of $150. Revolutionary Claim, Act June 7, 1832, Recorded by Nath. Rice Clerk Book E Vol. 6 Page 103.

Initial Pension Applicaton

Declaration in order to obtain the benefit of the Act of Congress passed June 7th 1832. State of Georgia:

DeKalb County

On this day personally appeared: in open Court before the superior Court of the said county of DeKalb now sitting Thomas Slay, a resident of Said County and State aged seventy five years, who being first duly sworn according to law doth on his oath make the following declaration in order to obtain the benefit of the Act of Congress passed June 7th 1832. That he enlisted in the service of the United States as a volunteer soldier under the following named officers and served as herein states: As well as he recollects in a short time after the commencement of the revolutionary war the date not recollected he enlisted as a volunteer in the Militia Service under Capt James Fair and marched from his residence in North Carolina Anson County to Charleston in the State of South Carolina where he was in a siege of what was called forty days and nights under the following named officers Capt George Lowman & Col Malmady who were officers in the regular service under which officers he enlisted for six months as a regular soldier. Genl Lincoln chief commander. He then returned home and remained thereabouts for three months after which time he joined Genl Francis Marion's army at Culps Ferry and big Pedee in Marlborough district and served two three months towers under officers whose names are not recollected and was in many skirmishes from Charleston to Georgetown and from there to Wilmington. He served under Capt. Bogan on officer in the militia service under the command of Col Thomas Wade in pursuit of the Tories for three months and then under Capt James Fair which was the second three months tower under him. he served six months as a regular soldier under Capt George Lowman and Col Malmady officers in the regular service during which time he was taken a prisoner. The first general engagement he was in was at Charleston and the second was at Utaw Springs between Camden and Charleston on the high hills of Santee under the command of Genl Green. He also served under several other Militia officers whose names are not recollected. The last general engagement he was at was at Utaw Springs.

He further states that he supposes he served about six years as a regular soldier and volunteer together. He states that he has no documentary evidence of his service having had his house consume with fire. He further states that he can prove part of his service by John Dabbs a resident of said state and county. He hereby relinquishes any claim whatever to a pension or annuity except the present and declares that his name is not on the pension roll of the agency of any state.

Sworn to & subscribed in open court this 10th Oct 1832

W T Colquitt, J.S.C his

Thomas "T" Slay

mark

Mr. Isaiah Parker a clergyman residing in the said county of DeKalb and James T. Baker residing in the same hereby certify that we are well acquainted with Thomas Slay who has subscribed and sworn to the above declaration that we believe him to be seventy five years of age, that he is respected & believed in the neighborhood where he resides to have been a soldier of the revolution and that we concur in that opinion.

Sworn to & subscribed the day & year aforesaid

WT Colquitt J.S.C Isaiah Parker

James T. Baker

And the said court do hereby declare their opinion after the

investigation of this matter & after putting the interrogations

prescribed by the War Department that the above named applicant was a

revolutionary soldier and served as he states and the court further

certifies that it appears to them that Isaiah Parker who has signed the

preceding certificate is a clergyman resident in said County and that

James T. Baker who has also signed the same is a resident in the said

county of DeKalb and is a credible person and that their statement is

entitled to WT Colquitt J.S.C

Personally appeared in open court on the day aforesaid John Dabbs a

resident of said county who after having been duly sworn deposeth &

saith that he was acquaited with Thomas Slay who has sworn to &

subscribed the foregoing declaration, in the service of the United

States during the Revolutionary war. the said Slay served in one

company & the deponent in another and they were frequently together & he

knows of his own knowledge of the said Slays having served about six

months in the army, in the States of South Carolina & North Carolina

And he has been informed & has reason to believe that the said Slay

served a considerable time afterwards and was in the battle of Eutaw

Springs. Sworn to & subscribed in open court

WT Colquitt J.S.C his

John "D" Dabbs

mark

I, Charles Murphey, Clerk of the Superior Court in & for the

County of DeKalb & state aforesaid do hereby certify that the foregoing

contains the original proceedings of the said court in the matter of the

application of Thomas Slay for a pension and I do hereby certify that

Walter T Colquitt whose name is subscribed to the foregoing certificate

is the presiding Judge of said court. In testimony whereof I have

hereunto set my hand and private there being no seal of office the 30th

day of October 1832.

C Murphey Clk

This original application was declared invalid, reference file

No.16540, Thomas Slay, Prv Rev War, Act: 7 Jun 1832, Index: Vol. 1, Page 362 [Arrangement of 1870]. Objections involved insufficient details on military service history and improper court procedures followed in submitting the application.

Decatur, DeKalb County, 6th Nov 1833

Sir, I send you herewith enclosed the pension claims of John Hays Robert McDowell[?] Thomas Slay John Landers and Ellit[sic] Wood. The three first of which have been amended by making an affidavit before a justice of the peace according to your instructives the other two have been amended by making additional declarations before the court, all of which I hope will now be found to be satisfactory. Yours very

Respectfully, William Ezzard, J.L. Edwards, Commissioner & C

Georgia, DeKalb County: Personally appeared before me the undersigned a justice of the peace in & for said County, Thomas Slay, who being duly sworn deposeth and saith: that by reason of old age, & the consequent loss of memory, he can not swear positively as to the precise length of his service, but according to the best of his recollection he served not less than the periods mentioned below and in the following grades. For three months in the year 1780 I served as a private & volunteer in the militia of North Carolina and in the same year I enlisted at Charleston in the regular army for the Term of Six months three months of which service I performed and was then taken prisoner by the British, and got off on parole. For Six months in the year 1781 I served as a volunteer & private in the militia of North Carolina said service being performed in two tours of three months each. For six months in the year 1782 I served as a volunteer & private in the militia of North Carolina. This service also having been performed in two tours of three months each. For three months in the later part of 1782 or forepart of 1783 I served as a volunteer & private in the militia of North Carolina. He further states that the whole of the above service was performed in North Carolina & South Carolina that during the above periods he was in actual service with the army called out by authority of the State, and that during said periods he was not engaged in any civil pursuit and for this service he claims a pension.

his

Thomas "X" Slay

mark

The within affidavit, sworn to and Subscribed before me this the 4th day of November 1833.

H.B. Latimer J.P.

Georgia, DeKalb County: I Elzy B. Reynolds clerk of the Inferior Court aforesaid county do hereby certify that Henry B. Latimer whose name appears to the foregoing affidavit is an acting Justice of the Peace in aforesaid county & that the annexed signature is his genuine signature.

In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and affixed my seal this 4th day of November 1833.

EB Reynolds Clk

Declaration in order to obtain the benefit of the Act of Congress passed June 7th 1832.

State of Georgia, DeKalb County: On the ninth day of July in the year eighteen hundred & thirty three personally appeared in open Court before the Inferior Court now sitting in and for the said County of DeKalb, Thomas Slay a resident of said County and State aged Eighty years who being first duly sworn according to law doth on his oath make the following declaration in addition to the one made in October last in order to obtain the benefit of the act of Congress passed June the 7th 1832 --- That he entered the service of the United States as a volunteer and a private under the following named officers and served as herein stated. Shortly after the commencement of the revolution he enlisted as a volunteer in the militia service under Capt James Fair for a three month tour and marched from his residence in North Carolina to Charleston in the State of South Carolina where he was in a siege of what was called forty days and nights under the following named officers Capt George Lowman & Col. Malmady who were officers in the regular service & after the first three months had expired he then volunteered for six months under Capt George Lowman & Col. Malmady and under a regular discipline Genl Lincoln chief commander and as soon as he enlisted for six months under the above named officers he returned home to his residence in North Carolina in Anson County and remained there and thereabouts for three months after which time he states he joined Genl Francis Marions company or army at Culps Ferry on big Pedee River in Marlborough District in South Carolina and then volunteered under Capt. James Fair for two three months tours and he states he was in many skirmishes during that service from Charleston to Georgetown & from there Wilmington. He states that after the expiration of the above named tours under Capt. James Fair he volunteered under Capt Patrick Bogan officer of the militia and under the special command of Col Thomas Wade for a three months tour. He states he served that time entirely in pursuit of the Tories. He states be also served under Capt. Brackin for some considerable time but how long he does not recollect and under the special command of Genl Marion he states that during the time for which he enlisted under Capt George Lowman & Col. Malmady Genl Lincoln chief commander he was taken prisoner by the British at Charleston in South Carolina and was imprison about a week. He states the first general engagement he was in was at Charleston & his second was at Utaw Springs between Camden & Charleston on the High hills of Sanitee under the command of Genl Greene. He states that that was the last general engagement he was in but was at the taking of Wilmington after that time. He states he served generally through the whole war. He further states he served at least six years. He states he received several written discharges that have long since been consumed by fire and does not [know] by what officers they were signed and states at this time he has no documentary evidence of his having served but can prove part of his service by John Dabbs a resident of said state & county whose certificate is amended to his declaration. He states he has no record of his age. He states he was born on the Eastern shores of Maryland in Pennsylvania Quenans [Queen Annes] County. He states he was living in North Carolina when he was called into service and lived there ever since until he removed to the County of DeKalb & State of Georgia where he now lives. He states all the services he performed was as a volunteer & private. He states he is well known to John Dabbs, Trussy Jarmon, Silus McGrudy [McGreedy or McGrady?], Sally [Tully?] Choice & William Ezzard all of whom can testify as to his character for truth & veracity and also of their belief of his having served in the revolution and also all of whom reside in said state. He hereby relinquishes every Claim whatever to a pension or annuity except the present and declares his name is not on the pension roll of the agency of any state. He further states that it s inconvenient for him to procure the certificate of a clergyman as there is no one at this court who is acquainted with him.

Thomas Ray J.I.C.

John Dobbs J.I.C. his

Edwards Jones J.I.C. Thomas "T" Slay

[Justice Inferior Court] mark

We Stephen Hightower residing in the State and County aforesaid and Silus McGrudy residing in the same do hereby certify that we are well acquainted with Thomas Slay who has subscribed & sworn to the above declaration that we believe him to be eighty years of age that he is respected and believed in the neighborhood where he resides to have been a soldier of the revolution and that we concur in that opinion. Sworn to and subscribed the day and year aforesaid

Thomas Ray J.I.C. Stephen Hightower

John Dobbs J.I.C. Silus McGrudy

Edward Jones J.I.C.

And the said court does duly declare their opinion after the investigation of the matter and after making the interrogatives prescribed by the War Department that the above named applicant was a revolutionary soldier and served as he states. And the court further certifies that it appears to them that Stephen Hightower who has signed the preceding certificate is a clergyman resident in the state and county aforesaid and that Silus McGrudy who has also signed the same is a resident of the same state and county and that they are credible persons and that their statement is entitled to credit.

Thomas Ray J.I.C.

John Dobbs J.I.C.

Edward Jones J.I.C.

I Elzy B. Reynolds Clerk of the Inferior Court of said County of DeKalb do hereby certify that the foregoing contained the original proceedings of the said court in the matter of the application of Thomas Slay for a pension. I do further certify that Thomas Ray John Dobbs and Edward Jones whose names appear to the foregoing certificate are the acting Justices of said court. In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and affixed my seal of office this 19th day of July 1833. E.B. Reynolds Clk

Georgia, DeKalb County: I Elzy B. Reynolds Clerk of the Inferior Court in & for said County do hereby certify that William Cochran whose name appears to the within certificate is an acting Justice of the Peace in and for said County & that due faith & credit ought to be given to his attestation as such given under my hand & seal this 19th day of July 1833. E.B. Reynolds Clk

Georgia, DeKalb County: Personally appeared before me John Dabbs who after being duly sworn deposeth and saith that whilst the deponent was a soldier of the Revolutionary war he was acquainted with Thomas Slay who has made the foregoing to which this declaration that said Slay served in one company and the deponent in another that he saw him frequently and believes the said Slay to have been at the battle of Utaw Springs & believes he was taken prisoner at Charleston but does know it of his own knowledge. Deponent cannot say how long he served. Sworn to and subscribed this 12th July 1833 before me. William Cochran J.P

his

John "D" Dabbs

mark

I William Cochran an acting Justice of the Peace in & for said County do certify that the John Dabbs whose name appears to the foregoing affidavit is a person of sincerity and entitled to Credit. Witness my hand and seal the 12th of July 1833. William Cochran J.P.

Murray County, Georgia

1840 Sep 5, M247, Roll 32

That he now resides in Murray County, State of Georgia, and has resided there for the space of Eight Months Past; and that previous thereto, he resided in DeKalb County, Georgia.

Sworn and subscribed, this }

fifth Day of } his

Sept. 1840 } Thomas "T" Slay

before me. } mark

Jordan Webb }

K. W. Hargrove JIC }

xiv. ANNA PARKER.

xv. ESTHER PARKER.

xvi. JOHN PARKER.

xvii. JUDEA PARKER.

xviii. KITTY PARKER.

xix. MARY PARKER.

xx. MOSES PARKER.

xxi. ELIZABETH FRANCES PARKER, b. about 1761, North Carolina; m. JOSHUA AMMONS.

xxii. JESSE PARKER.

4. TRISTRAM4 PARKER (MOSES3, NATHANIEL2, JOHN1) was born 10 May 1795 in Marlboro Co., S. C., and died 23 October 1851 in Weakley Co., Tenn. He married NANCY. She was born 1798 in South Carolina, and died before 1860 in Weakley Co., Tenn.

"Tristram Parker married Sarah Newton."[19]

Tristram Parker appears in the 1840 Census for Weakley Co., Tenn.[20] He is present in the 12th Civil District in the 1843 Tax List,[21] and is also listed in the 1850 Census in the 12th Civil District of Weakley Co., Tenn.[22] The birthplaces for his children show that he moved to Tennessee sometime between 1828 and 1832. He is not in Weakley Co., Tenn., in the 1830 Census, so we can say that they moved about 1831.

Comparing the family structure, we have all five males accounted for, but only the youngest girl. There are two girls who presumably married between 1840 and 1850. Examination of the marriage records of Weakley Co., Tenn., show four marriages for brides named Parker from 1843 to 1850.[23] Curiously, two of the brides were named Elizabeth and two were named Nancy. Elizabeth Parker married Alexander Campbell on 26 December 1845. They are present in the 12th Civil District (#68) which makes them near neighbors of Tristram Parker. She is listed as 24 and born in N. C. They were alive and living in the 12th District in 1880, when Elizabeth Campbell said both of her parents were born in North Carolina as was she. This Alexander Campbell is surely a grandson of 1839 Stephen Pate, as the Pate family were also near neighbors. Elizabeth M. Parker married M. D. Stout on 24 October 1843. There are a lot of men named Stout in the 12th Civil District, but I did not find an M. D. Stout among them. By the process of elimination, though, the latter marriage seems most probable.

Nancy Parker married John Baker 7 December 1846. The 1850 Census shows J. Baker, 29, TN, and Nancy, 30, SC, with their children in the 4th Civil District, #152. Nancy Parker married John T. White 6 November 1844. I have not been able to locate a suitable John White in Weakley Co. in the 1850 Census, although there are several "J" and "John" Whites listed. I think it is likely that the Nancy Parker who married John Baker is the eldest daughter of Tristram Parker.

The 1850 Census shows six families named Parker in addition to Tristram Parker. Two others, both "F. Parker" are in the 6th Civil District, one 47 and married to Sarah (p. 413, #960) and one 38, married to Pernelia. (p. 452, #921) and were born in South Carolina. Since Jessie and John Parker claimed both parents were born in North Carolina in the 1880 Census (see below), it is notable that the other four are from there. Unfortunately, none of these other Parkers are living close to Tristram, and all were identified by initial only, so it is quite difficult to connect any of these men to 1830 Moses Parker of Marlboro Co., S. C.

Children of TRISTRAM PARKER and NANCY are:

5. i. JESSE5 PARKER, b. 19 December 1823, Marlboro Co., S. C.; d. 16 September 1902, Weakley Co., Tenn.

ii. NANCY PARKER, b. about 1820, Marlboro Co., S. C.; m. JOHN BAKER, 7 December 1846, Weakley Co., Tenn.

iii. JAMES PARKER, b. about 1828, Marlboro Co., S. C.

iv. ELIZABETH M. PARKER, b. about 1829, Marlboro Co., S. C.; m. M. D. STOUT, 24 October 1843, Weakley Co., Tenn.

v. JOHN PARKER, b. about 1832, Weakley Co., Tenn.

vi. WILLIAM PARKER, b. about 1834, Weakley Co., Tenn.

vii. THOMAS PARKER, b. about 1835, Weakley Co., Tenn.

viii. CAROLINE PARKER, b. 1838, Weakley Co., Tenn.

ix. MOSES PARKER, b. about 1841, Weakley Co., Tenn.

5. JESSE5 PARKER (TRISTRAM4, MOSES3, NATHANIEL2, JOHN1) was born 19 December 1823 in Marlboro Co., S. C., and died 16 September 1902 in Weakley Co., Tenn. He married ELIZABETH CLARK 27 August 1856 in Weakley Co., Tenn., daughter of BENJAMIN CLARK and WINNIFRED WILLIAMS. She was born 4 April 1830 in Anson Co., N. C., and died 29 July 1905 in Weakley Co., Tenn.

Tristram Parker is the head of household in the only Parker family in the 12th Civil District in 1850. He has Isaac, 26, and James 22, living with him, but not Jesse. The family structure matches that of the report for Tristram Parker in 1840 perfectly, with five boys. Since Isaac at 26 would have been born about 1824, I think it is probable that he is Jesse, born 19 December 1823. This conclusion is strengthened by the finding that John Parker, 28, TN, is a boarder in the household of Jessie Parker and Elizabeth in 1860.[24] Shown are Laura, b. about 1858, and Marietta, b. 1860. There is also a Mannia Loving, 8, boarder, and Pinking Gobson, 21, farm laborer, in the household. John apparently lived with Jesse for the rest of his life. In the 1900 census, John C. Parker, b. Feb. 1832, is specifically identified as the brother of Jesse Parker, b. Dec. 1823, and Betty, b. Apr. 1830.[25] With this information, we can equate “Issac” from 1850 with Jesse. I have looked at a copy of this census, and it is quite clearly written, and the name is clearly intended by be Isaac, although it looks to be spelled “Isaak.”

The marriage of Jesse Parker and Elizabeth Clark is recorded in Weakley Co., Tenn., 27 August 1856. The Clark family had also been in Henry Co., Tenn. Jessie Parker and Elizabeth Parker remained in the 12th Civil District for the rest of their lives.[26] Interestingly, both Jessie and his brother John claimed both parents were born in North Carolina in the 1880 Census.[27] Jessie and "Betty" Clark are buried in the Everett Chapel Pentecostal Cemetery, Weakley Co., Tenn.[28] The dates shown are from their tombstones.

One curiosity from the census is that James Parker, b. Jan. 1828 in NC and his wife Martha A. Parker, b. May 1838 in TN are living one house away from Jessie in 1880 and next door in 1870 and 1900. Given that Moses Parker's land was in both Marlboro Co., S. C., and Richmond Co., N. C., I strongly suspect a family connection to this James, but have insufficient data to make the connection.[29]

Children of JESSE PARKER and ELIZABETH CLARK are:

i. EMMA6 PARKER, b. 17 September 1866, Weakley Co., Tenn.; d. 19 October 1934, Carroll Co., Tenn.; m. WILLIAM BAKER EVERETT, 7 February 1884, Weakley Co., Tenn.; b. 27 July 1863, Carroll Co., Tenn.; d. 24 August 1898, Carroll Co., Tenn.

Emma Parker Everett is buried in Blooming Grove Cemetery, Carroll Co., Tenn.[30] In the 1900 Census, she says her birthday was Apr 1865, that she was born in Tennessee, and both parents were born in N. C. She is in Carroll Co., 3rd Civil District, #358. Children's birth dates from the 1900 census. Their names are included in her obituary published in the McKenzie Banner.

ii. JAMES PARKER, b. about 1858, Weakley Co., Tenn.

James Parker is 12 in the 1870 Census, and is not living at home in 1880. He does not appear in the 1860 Census as he should, although there is a Laura, b. 1858, who is listed only in 1860. As with his father, it is possible this is a case of the same person with different names used. The transcribers have listed this name as "Launa."

iii. MARIETTA PARKER, b. 1860, Weakley Co., Tenn.; d. Bef. 1867, Weakley Co., Tenn.

iv. MATTIE PARKER, b. about 1867.

v. ROBERT THOMAS PARKER, b. 10 July 1869, Weakley Co., Tenn.; d. 16 December 1946, Weakley Co., Tenn.; m. MARY NEVA; b. 1872; d. 1914.

Robert Thomas Parker and Mary Neva Parker are buried in Everett Chapel Pentecostal Cemetery, Weakley Co., Tenn., next to his parents, Jessie and Betty Everett.[31] [1] Dates recorded are from their tombstones.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[1] Updated 7 May 2006.
[2] Cited by Smith, Paul E. Nydeggen. 24 Feb 2006. Located at
http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com, (db. leola).
[3] The estate sale was conducted in 1761 by Robert Parker as executor, with Robert, Nathaniel, and the widow all participating. Smith, Paul E. Citing FHL USCAN 0186355.
[4] Answel, Ernest, Jr. Frontier Forts along the Potomac and its Tributaries. Cited by Smith, Paul E.
[5] Armstrong, Gladys S. The Parker Family. 1998. hometown.aol.com/GMA529/Parker.htm
Accessed 18 Feb 2006.
[6] Smith, Paul E. Nydeggen. 24 Feb 2006. Located at http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com, (db. leola).
[7] Armstrong, Gladys S. The Parker Family. 1998. Located at
hometown.aol.com/GMA529/Parker.htm. Accessed 18 Feb 2006. She does not show 1830 Moses Parker as part of this family, but there seems good reason to keep him with this group.
[8] Cisco, Jay G. Historic Sumner County, Tennessee. Cited by Smith, Paul E.
[9] Daniel Parker was the eldest son of John Parker and Sarah White. Armstrong, Gladys S. The Parker Family. 1998. Located at hometown.aol.com/GMA529/Parker.htm Accessed 18 Feb 2006.
[10] Moses Parker of Dickson Co., TN. Located at http://www.oldspencermill.com/page1.html. Accessed 18 Feb 2006
[11] Thomas, J. A. W. A History of Marlboro County, pp. 878-91. Cited by Sams, Barbara P. Moses Parker (1744-SC) Children. 25 Sep 2004. Located at
http://genforum.genealogy.com/parker/messages/18339.html.
[12] Sams, Barbara P. Moses Parker (1744-SC) Children. 25 Sep 2004. Located at http://genforum.genealogy.com/parker/messages/18341.html.
[13] McPherson, Lib. Parker, Moses, S. Carolina. 8 Apr 2000. Located at http://genforum.genealogy.com/parker/messages/6726.html.
[14] 1820 Census Marlboro Co., S. C., p. 143, [430101-21010]. Also shown in that census are Stephen, [100001-10101]; Henry, [300100-21100]; and on p. 144 David [000110-00010]. This census was alphabetized, so it is not possible to determine the neighbors.
[15] Laurinburg Exchange (Laurinburg, NC), June 24, 1970. Cited at
http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com, (db. :ah6222). This is an "abandoned file."
[16] Evans, Donna. Our Family Quilt. 25 June 2005. Located at
http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com, (db. 11519588).
[17] Bridges, Myrtle N. The Wright Family of Richmond County, NC.
http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncrichmo/wrightdesc.html. Accessed 10 Feb 2006.
[18] Edwards, W. T., and Collins Fay. Applicaton of Thomas Slay, Jr. Located at
http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/nc/anson/military/revwa.... Accessed 10 Feb 2006.
[19] McPherson, Lib. Parker, Moses, S. Carolina. 7 April 2000. Located at http://genforum.genealogy.com/parker/messages/6711.html.
[20] 1840 Census Weakley Co., Tenn., p. 309, [1211001-1110001]. This leads to an estimated birth year of 1790-1800.
[21] 1843 Tax List Weakley Co., Tenn. Located at
http://www.rootsweb.com/~tnweakle/1843_TaxList.htm. Accessed 23 Feb 2006.
[22] 1850 Census Weakley Co., Tenn., 12th Civil District, #62. T. Parker is 56, born in SC. Nancy is 51, b. SC, Isach is 26, James 22, both born in SC, while John 18, Billy 16, Thomas 15, Caroline 12, and Moses, 9, were all born in Tennessee.
[23] Weakley Co., Tenn., Marriage Records. Located at
http://www.rootsweb.com/~tnweakle/1843brideN_R.htm. Accessed 23 Feb 2006.
[24] 1860 Census Weakley Co., Tenn., 12th District, p. 441, #46.
[25] 1900 Census Weakley Co., Tenn., Enumeration Dist. 125, Hays, 12th District, p. 2B.
[26] 1870 Census Weakley Co., Tenn., 12th District, #97. He is reported to be 46, born in SC, she was 39, born in NC.
[27] 1880 Census Weakley County, Enumeration Dist. 175 (12th Civil District), Hays, p. 1, #9. Emma V., 15, and Robert T., 10, are living at home.
[28] Weakley County, Tennessee, Cemetery Listings. (Sharon, TN: James Buckley Chapter, NSDAR, 1980,) Vol. II:69. Also located in this cemetery are Elbert Green Everett and his wife, Robert Clark, probably a brother of Elizabeth (Clark) Parker.
[29] I have not located a marriage in Weakley Co., Tenn., prior to 1863 that matches this couple. The J. R. Parker who married Mary E. Brooks 13 May 1863 is probably the one buried in Pleasant Hill Cemetery with dates 10 Aug 1830-11 Nov 1911, with a marker for M. E., b. 21 Oct 1845, no death date on the stone, but likely after November 1911. [Weakley Co., Cemeteries, II:240] There is a Martha E. Parker, wife of J. H. Parker, who is buried in Tuck Cemetery with dates 8 Feb 1831-7 March 1868, but this cannot be her, either. [Weakley Co., Cemeteries, II:386.]
[30] Carter, Edwin and Carter, Clella Mae. Carroll County, Tennessee Cemetery Records. (1981).
[31] Weakley County, Tennessee, Cemetery Listings. (Sharon, TN: James Buckley Chapter, NSDAR, 1980,) Vol. II:69.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
L_F_Wright 11 Nov 2006 10:19PM GMT 
ABHunt 11 Nov 2006 11:25PM GMT 
Cannedheat046 12 Nov 2006 5:15PM GMT 
L_F_Wright 12 Nov 2006 8:08PM GMT 
LindaHahn32 30 Jun 2007 5:02PM GMT 
bobmiller24 16 Dec 2012 4:13AM GMT 
NancyMisenhei... 4 Jun 2013 7:01PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic