Search for content in message boards

Wolftrap Plantation, Coxe Road, Marlboro Co. SC

Replies: 3

Re: Wolftrap Plantation, Coxe Road, Marlboro Co. SC

Posted: 30 Mar 2013 6:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi,

I saw your request for info about Wolftrap. It was (unsure about now) owned by my family. Here's what I know.

I was told that Wolftrap was originally 10,000 acres, a land grant to from the Lord's Proprieter of that region sometime in the 1600's. In my linage on my father's side there are the following surnames: Coxe (me/father/grandfather), McCormick (grandmother/great-grandfather) & Drake (great-grandmother). I always assumed Wolftrap was from the Drake linage, but never researched it.

I do remember the old plantation home, though it was unoccupied even when I was little kid 50 years ago. It was severely damaged by fire (early 70s?) - teenagers partying was the story. I haven't been there since my father passed away in 1968 & was buried in the Drake-Dudley cemetary in Blenheim.

My uncle Francis E. Coxe farmed it when I was a kid. His family lived instead in the Coxe home (his father's home), which was nearby. It could be these 2 farms (Coxe & Wolftrap) were combined. I never thought about it until just now. Francis's farm was 2500 acres, so I assumed that the original large grant had been divided among children over time. His son James (my 1st cousin) inherited it when Francis died in 1978. James leased it out, as he was a contractor in Myrtle Beach, and already earning more than he could make from farming.

That's about it. I was never much on family history, even tho the relatives always tried to drill it into me :)

- Michael Coxe
San Jose, CA
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
E_Rockholt 15 Dec 2012 8:04PM GMT 
Michael Coxe 31 Mar 2013 12:02AM GMT 
E_Rockholt 31 Mar 2013 1:54AM GMT 
Michael Coxe 1 Apr 2013 3:08AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic