Search for content in message boards

Missing Ancestor

Replies: 6

Missing Ancestor

Posted: 23 Feb 2013 3:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: LaPlant, LaPlante, La Plant, La Plante, Ponton, Latrimouille
I am looking for information on the DEATH of Philorome Jerome "Fred" LaPlant/e.
He was born in May 1868 Illinois (probably Kankankee County); to Joseph Joel "Joel" LaPlant/e ( 1836-1925) and Julia Mary Ponton (1839-bef 1930).

"Fred" married Madres Ponton (1873-1934) on Nov. 28, 1889 in Elrod, Clark, South Dakota and they had 3 children together; 2 of which survived to adulthood. Frederick Joseph La Plant (1891-1971) and Virginia Adeline La Plante (1898-1985).
I have found "Fred" on the following census records:
July 4, 1870 Montana township, Labette County, Kansas
Name Age
Joel Leplant 34
Julia Leplant 33
John Leplant 13
Mary Leplant 11
David Leplant 9
Rosa Leplant 8
Joseph Leplant 5
Jerome Leplant 2 <- this is Philorome Jerome "Fred" LaPlant

NOTE: John, Mary, David & Rose's surnames are actually Latrimouille, they are Julia's children from her first marriage to Jean Baptiste Latrimouille.

June 16, 1880 Bourbannais County, Illinois
Name Age
Joel La Plonte 44
Julie La Plonte 43
Philosome La Plonte 12 <- this is Philorome Jerome "Fred" LaPlant
Denis La Plonte 8
Ulger La Plonte 2
George La Plonte 5m
Mary Latiemouille 21

June 21, 1900 District 0086, Cottonwood, Clark County, South Dakota
Name Age
Frank H Rarick 46
Cara A Rarick 11
Artha E Rarick 8
Katie A Rarick 6
Fredric Laplant 35 <- this is Philorome Jerome "Fred" LaPlant
Virginnia Laplant 25
Virginnia Laplant 2
Fredrick Laplant 9

I had been told by some family members that one day he went out fur trapping, and never came back. Another story I heard was that someone killed him in a barn, by shooting him in the back of the head. But if that is true, where did this happen and where is he buried?
The first story of him disappearing is more probable since in 2010, I came in the pocession of his wife's divorce documents. The documents dated February 23, 1904 states "That on or about the 21st day of June 1901 the
defendant (Fred, who did not appear) disregarding the solemnity of his marriage vows willfully and without cause deserted and abandoned the plaintiff (Madres) and ever since has and still continues so to willfully desert
and abadon the plaintiff and to live seperate and apart from her, without any sufficient cause and against her will and without her consent." The document further stated that "Fred" failed to provide for Madres for more than one year and that she had been compelled to live upon the charity of friends and to go out at hard labor to support herself and minor children.
The divorce was granted and Madres remarried to John Understock the same day.
So, "Fred" had not been seen or heard from since June 21, 1901.
What I'd like to know is if anyone had heard anything about this man from their families? If something happened, it had to have been talked about.
Does anyone have access to local Clark County newspapers from this time period? Is there anything in the paper about him disappearing?
Does anyone have knowledge about fur trapping/trading, of this time period? Where would he have gone if this is what he was doing?
I would greatly appreciate any help anyone can provide. Thank you!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ReliSearcher2 23 Feb 2013 10:19PM GMT 
frogbait 25 Feb 2013 4:17PM GMT 
ReliSearcher2 26 Feb 2013 2:18AM GMT 
goodfeller 26 Feb 2013 1:15PM GMT 
ReliSearcher2 26 Feb 2013 9:10PM GMT 
ken4af 17 May 2013 6:35PM GMT 
ReliSearcher2 18 May 2013 4:45AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions