Search for content in message boards

'The 'Squaw Man,' by Charlie Rose of Dallas SD; illus. by Dema Rose; Rosebud Indians

Replies: 5

'The 'Squaw Man,' by Charlie Rose of Dallas SD; illus. by Dema Rose; Rosebud Indians

Posted: 21 Apr 2011 10:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Rose, Lucas, McCrady, Hollow Horn Bear
I have a typed legal size manuscript given me by my aunt June Lucas McCrady that, as told to me, was written by Charlie Rose of Dallas, SD, and hand illustrated on the back of the typed pages by his daughter, Dema Rose, the 'Rose of the Rosebud.'

The title of the manuscript is 'The Squaw Man'; it contains the author's musings on the treatment of the Rosebud Reservation Indians by the government, the theme being 'our waiting Indians'; 13 pages + title page (there are handwritten pages numbers and no page 11 but the pages may have been mis-numbered). There is no author or illustrator listed on the manuscript. The manuscript was apparently written in the early 1940s. The section titles are the following: Our Waiting Indian, Their First Inscentive [sic], The Indian Had Little Mechanical Ability, Their One Great Incentive, Hollow Horn Bear, The Sioux As A Stockman, The Indian's Viewpoint Today.

Is there interest in this manuscript? Is the existence of this manuscript known? Are there other copies? The manuscript is fragile so I'm in the process of transcribing it.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
clucas0826 21 Apr 2011 4:25PM GMT 
karosel33 8 Jul 2011 7:52AM GMT 
kathybirch2 7 Feb 2012 5:04PM GMT 
clucas0826 8 Feb 2012 1:19AM GMT 
JoeThurstenso... 20 Feb 2012 12:34PM GMT 
clucas0826 20 Feb 2012 2:33PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions