Search for content in message boards

BROWN's at Fort Nashborough

Replies: 28

Re: More Settlers at Fort Nashborough

Patsy Clymer (View posts)
Posted: 4 Oct 2002 9:01AM GMT
Classification: Query
HI MARY;
THANKS FOR THE INFO. I KNOW THAT THERE WERE OTHER SETTLERS THAT CAME TO NASHVILLE BEFORE THE OTHERS DID. I JUST DIDN'T KNOW THEIR NAMES.(ALL OF THEM).AND I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU, BUT IT IS A SHAME TO ME THAT THEY ONLY LISTED THE WIVES & CHILDREN AS "FAMILY" TO THESE GUIES. THEY WERE JUST AS IMPORTANT AS THESE MEN WERE. MANY LOST THEIR LIVES COMING HERE WITH THEIR HUSBANDS AND FATHERS.IN THE ''DISCOVERING TN. " BOOK, IT SAYS THAT ALOT OF THE EARLY SETTLERS CAME FORM PENNSYLVANIA, VIRGINIA, NORTH CAROLINA, SOUTH CAROLINA . BECAUSE THEY WERE LOOKING FOR MORE FREEDOM, LAND, AND THE RIGHT TO WORSHIP THE WAY THEY WANTED TO. TN. IS KNOWN FOR HAVING SOME OF THE OLDEST CHURCHES IN THE U.S.. MANY OF THEM ARE RIGHT HERE IN NASHVILLE. I HAD NOT HEARD OF THOMAS RATER. BUT I AM STILL RESEARCHING THE BROWN FAMILY. (JUST STARTED).
I HAVE A STORY FOR YOU THAT I THINK IS FUNNY, THOMAS SHARP SPENCER, A FRIEND OF MANSKER WAS A HUGH MAN.THE INDIANS FEARED HIM AS A TERRIBLE FIGHTER. HE ALWAYS STUCK BY A FRIEND IN NEED. ONE WINTER HE AND ANOTHER HUNTER NAMED HOLLIDAY DECIDED TO RETURN TO THE SETTLEMENT IN VIRGINIA. HOLLIDAY HAD LOST HIS KNIFE. SO SPENCER WENT HALF WAY BACK TO VIRGINIA WITH HIM,THEN HE BROKE HIS KNIFE IN TWO ,GAVE HALF OF IT TO HOLLIDAY& KEPT THE OTHER HALF FOR HIMSELF.
BUT HERE'S THE FUNNY STORY:
ONE DAY A HUNTER THAT DID NOT KNOW SPENCER CAME UPON HIS FOOT PRINT IN THE FORREST. HE THOUGHT THAT THERE WAS A "GIANT" IN THE FORREST. HE WAS SO FRIGHTENED THAT HE SWAM ACROSS THE RIVER AND RAN AS FAST AS HE COULD TO THE FRENCH SETTLEMENTS ON THE WALBASH. SPENCER WAS A QUIET&PEACH LOVING MAN. HE WAS KNOW FOR STOPPING FIGHTS INSTEAD OF STARTING THEM.
ONCE WHEN HE SEPARATED TWO MEN WHO WERE FIGHTING, A MAN WHO WANTED TO SEE THE FIGHT STRUCK SPENCER IN THE FACE WITH ALL OF HIS MIGHT. WITHOUT A WORD, SPENCER PICKED THE MAN UP AND THREW THE MAN OVER A FENCE. AFTER THE MAN GOT HIS SENSES BACK TO HIM HE TOLD SPENCER IN A MEEK VOICE, "MR. SPENCER, IF YOU'LL PITCH MY HORSE OVER HERE, I'LL BE GOING."
IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO WRITE TO ME DIRECTLY, MY E-MAIL ADDRESS IS CPATSY@BELLSOUTH.NET. MY COMPUTER IS OLD& IT TAKES IT AWHILE TO PICK UP ANY MESSAGES FROM HERE. COULD YOU SEND ME YOURS? THANKS FOR THE INFO. PATSY
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Mary Turney Miller 3 Oct 2002 2:09PM GMT 
cherianderton 6 Jan 2013 5:40PM GMT 
Mary Turney Miller 4 Oct 2002 2:45AM GMT 
Patsy Clymer 4 Oct 2002 3:01PM GMT 
Steh1959 26 Feb 2010 5:28AM GMT 
MaryMiller994 27 Feb 2010 10:57PM GMT 
Steh1959 1 Mar 2010 7:48PM GMT 
Steh1959 11 Mar 2010 1:22AM GMT 
MaryMiller994 15 Mar 2010 8:21PM GMT 
jantrevor 14 May 2010 4:57PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions