Search for content in message boards

Rufus Jeffers and Maggie Hicks

Replies: 1

Rufus Jeffers and Maggie Hicks

Posted: 6 Nov 2012 10:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Jeffers, Hicks, Waines
Hi all, I am looking for information on my gg grandparents, Rufus Jeffers (possibly James Rufus(Ruphus) Jeffers and Margaret "Maggie" Ella Hicks(possibly went by Mary). I found a 1899 marriage record for Rufus and Maggie from Greene County, as well as a death record for Rufus from 1911.

I believe Rufus' parents were possibly Andrew Jeffers and Sarah Waine, both of Tennessee.

A 1910 census record listed Rufus and Maggie as living in district 15 of Greene County, Tennessee. Their children were listed as Earl (age 9), Felmer (age 8), Leonia (age 5), Bonnie (age 3), and my great grandmother Mary (age 7 months).

The information I obtained from a family bible belonging to my great grandmother Mary stated the following information.
Margarite Ella Hicks- born 1874 and died 01 Mar 1937.
James Rufus Jeffers - born in Jearoldstown, Tennessee
their children, according to the info in the bible were:
Elmer Lee Jeffers - born 1901, Earl Jeffers-born 1902 and died 1914, Nannie Leona Jeffers-born 1904, Floyd Graham Jeffers - born 1907, and Mary Jeffers - born 1909. There is absolutely no mention of a Bonnie Jeffers.

At the time of Rufus Jeffers death, his son, Earl Jeffers was a resident at the Tennessee Industrial School, which is where neglected, orphaned, and delinquent children were sent. According to his death certificate he died of tuberculous meningitis. The death certificate also states that the child's father was deceased and his remaining family had moved to Missouri. I have been unable to trace the family through census records after the 1910 census.

If anyone has any information regarding any of the people mentioned, please contact me.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
lograsso1102 6 Nov 2012 5:00PM GMT 
doloros33 6 Nov 2012 7:23PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions