Search for content in message boards

Eula Mae McNutt: an obituary

Replies: 7

Eula Mae McNutt: an obituary

Glen England (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jan 2000 5:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Click, Church, England, Fisher, Vaughan
This is not a regular query or notice, but I could think of no more appropriate place to post it.

Eula Mae McNutt, who has helped hundreds of people researching families in the western Virginia-eastern Tennessee area, died on 16 January 2000. She had been seriously ill for some time. She was 69 years old.

Eula Mae was the kind of person who never met a stranger and was unfailingly generous. She walked all over Scott and nearby counties in Virginia and Tennessee, finding and recording old family cemeteries that had been lost to time and overgrowth. She recovered records that had been lost in the Gate City Courthouse, and she was publicly acknowledged by Scott County's clerk. Entirely self taught, she could have easily written dozens of books on genealogy in the area, but instead quietly contributed to those of others. Had she chosen to pursue it as a profession, she could have made a nice living from genealogy. For Eula Mae, however, genealogy was a labor of love, and she did not charge for love. Anything she had, she made available for the price of postage -- a bargain indeed.

My brother, Ken, and I met Eula Mae a few years ago. We were trying to trace a ne'er-do-well grandfather who vanished soon after our father was born. Characteristically, she welcomed us -- perfect strangers, really -- into her home and told us hours of family lore that is never recorded in official records. Suddenly, we had a family.

Anyone who wishes to send a card or a letter to her family may do so at: P.O.Box 1092, Gate City, Virginia 24251.

GENGLANDBK@AOL.COM
GENGLADNBK@WORLDNET.ATT.NET
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Glen England 16 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Bill Roller 18 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT 
darrylgardner 19 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Lois McNutt Epley 28 Feb 2002 6:20AM GMT 
Glen England 3 Mar 2002 7:05PM GMT 
beecherrg 15 Jun 2011 2:08PM GMT 
genpics1968 30 Dec 2012 8:17PM GMT 
KLarkin32 19 Oct 2011 1:00PM GMT 
per page