Search for content in message boards

Anderson brothers and Civil War

Replies: 8

Re: Anderson brothers and Civil War

Posted: 6 Jul 2012 10:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
1840? To 1928 George was a Civil War veteran, who had been discharged from the Union Army in 1864. (I remember finding a copy of his discharge papers but I can’t put my hand on it today). i think George would have died in Marshfield Missouri.

My Mother who is in her 80 remembers being told that George was; Scotch Irish, farmer, carpenter, Quaker, and abolitionist. His father served in revisionary war. Other family members do not remember Gorge as a Quaker or abolitionist. My mother has childhood memories of Emily.

I realize that if Emily was legally Black or mulatto; she, her husband, and her children would have clung to the label squaw to avoid labels like mulatto and passing.
I have heard to differing version of the family’s flight form TN. I imagine the truth lies somewhere in-between the too. In both stories, George shot a man; and the family had to leave everything behind, fleeing at night.

Family that remember Gorge as a Quaker
Tell this story: George had shot a man who discovered their involvement in the Underground Railway…This story dos not add up as they were still living in TN after the civil war in 1864 when he was released form the Union Army. Although there were still former slaves heading north during the reconstruction era and they may have been helping them… or it could have been related to there mixed race relationship, or a combination.

Other family members tell this story
A man flirted with Emily or she flirted with a man and Gorge shot hem.
If flirting and a shooting did take place I would be inclined to think that “Flirting” was a euphemism for infidelity or rape. Ether of witch would have given Gorge the legal rite to shoot Emily and the man. In those days didn’t a white man have a right to defend his home and his property, which included his wife. If so why did they flee?This raze a question for me… if Emily or her parents were legally identified as ‘collard’ ‘mulatto’, or ‘black’ then wouldn’t it have been illegal for George to be marred to her.

I found this Gorge Anderson

Slave Census Schedule for Hancock County, Tennessee 1860 National Archives and Records Administration, Record Group M653, Roll #282
3 Click District, 24 Jul 1860
George Anderson
Female Black 67 years old
Female Black 26 years old
Female Black 21 years old
Male Mulatto 20 years old
Male Mulatto 5 years old
I am wondering if this is my Gorge? He could have been 20 and he might have taken his lover/wife Emily (female black 21?) and in-laws as property to avoided complication.
Do you know if there is a way to find out more about this Gorge Anderson?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
David Jones 24 Jan 2008 9:32PM GMT 
PatriciaHamil... 25 Jan 2008 12:30PM GMT 
David Jones 25 Jan 2008 10:17PM GMT 
celestejoy1 3 Jul 2012 8:26PM GMT 
David Jones 3 Jul 2012 10:24PM GMT 
celestejoy1 7 Jul 2012 4:58AM GMT 
JanicePilling... 19 Nov 2012 5:46AM GMT 
David Jones 19 Nov 2012 9:44PM GMT 
David Jones 25 Jan 2008 11:38PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic