Search for content in message boards

Goodmans of Newman's Ridge - Hawkins County TN

Replies: 5

Goodmans of Newman's Ridge - Hawkins County TN

Posted: 10 Jun 2009 7:32AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kirk, Gibson, Moore, Lawson, Sizemore, Goodman, King
Hi, my name is Linda Goodman Benson. I have been reviewing the information at Mary Lynn Evans' 7 armadillos family tree project, concerning the Goodmans prior to 1800. I am descended from William Goodman who married Martha (Patsy) Manis, through his son Alfred Goodman. I understand there is not a lot of information to go on during this time, so I have wondered what the documentation is that William is the son of Obediah Goodman. I have seen Obediah's will and William is not listed as one of his children. Obediah was born in 1770 and William was born in 1790, so the ages would work that they could be father and son, but is there written proof?

I have also been reviewing the message boards on Rootsweb.com. The surnames of Kirk, Gibson, Moore, Lawson, and Sizemore are discussed along with Goodman. Mary Lyn has one post questioning whether Obediah Goodman and Obediah Moore are the same person depending upon location and the female he was with. It is an interesting theory.

However, I am beginning to wonder if the Goodman name is the paternal line at all. My brother submitted DNA for me through AncestryDNA and I have compared his results with others on the Ancestry website. So far there are no Goodmans included other than my brother, but it surprised me that the DNAs match with the exception of only one marker with a Gibson, King and Manis, which show the possiblity of matching between 1-6 generations or 150 years. Lawson is the next name down which is 7 generations or 175 years. I have also joined the Goodman DNA project to compare my brother's DNA with others there. Granted there are no Goodmans from Hawkins County TN on the list - most being from Virginia and N. Carolina - but the highest number of matches is 19 out of 45. Have any of you Goodman males submitted your DNA so we might compare?

If my suspicion is true, where did the change happen. If there are no records that Obediah is William's father, it could be that a female Goodman had an illegitimate child with a man from one of the names above and the son kept the mother's name. Or if descendants of both Obediah and Edmund have the same DNA results, then there is a father of another name before their births. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
LindyLea50 10 Jun 2009 1:32PM GMT 
pinguinxxx 11 Jun 2009 9:38PM GMT 
ktsok 1 Jul 2009 8:18PM GMT 
LindyLea50 7 Jul 2009 1:04AM GMT 
LindyLea50 11 Jul 2009 5:19AM GMT 
Marty Wagner 11 Jul 2009 7:50AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions