Search for content in message boards

chrischany jane goodman (1833-1867), born Hawkins County, Tennessee

Replies: 4

Re: chrischany jane goodman (1833-1867), born Hawkins County, Tennessee

Posted: 5 Oct 2013 6:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Goodman, Shelton, Lay, Connell
Thanks for your response. Am most interested in whatever information you may have on Meredith's parents. I have not had any luck seeking that information. You are quite correct that Christaman appears as a male on the 1850 census. (The 1850 Livingston County, KY census has more errors than any I have worked with! It is terribly inaccurate in so many areas!) That said, the 1840 census for Meredith in Todd County, KY clearly indicates a female of the correct age for Christaman, but no male child of that age. The 1850 census also records Meredith's name as Wm. P. The surname on the original appears to be Gooman, so additionally it was transcribed incorrectly on Ancestry. Chrischany was married at the home of Ira & Elizabeth Shelton. Ira was the surety for the marriage bond. The 1860 Livingston County, KY census shows Chrischany Jane Goodman Lay living with, or next door to, her sister, Martha Catherine Goodman Connell. Martha was married 1856 in Robertson County, TN. She and her husband obviously returned to Livingston County, KY. I suspect, to be with her sister. Chrischany died in 1867. The 1870 census finds Martha and her family back in Robertson County, TN where her husband is from. Since my initial posting, I have received a Xerox copy of several pages, found loose, in the Goodman family bible and sent to me by another researcher. Again, the bible only contains initials, but, C J is clearly shown as a female. Her birth and marriage dates also match my records for Chrischany Jane Goodman. Hawkins County TN has no early birth or church records available. The death records for Livingston County KY for 1867 are lost. Meredith did not have a will, or own property that I was able to locate. His death record did not mention children. I have not been able to locate a will for Patsy Shelton Goodman who passed in Todd County, KY in 1836, either. Unless you have another source of which I'm unaware, the bible pages are as close to proof positive as I think I will ever locate, to prove that Chrischany Jane Goodman Lay is indeed the daughter of Meredith P and Martha "Patsy" Smith Shelton Goodman. Would love to hear your thoughts, and any additional or different information you may have. Marge
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
marg3804 17 Jul 2012 3:15AM GMT 
Jimi Goodman 8 May 2013 12:03PM GMT 
Stephen Goodm... 5 Oct 2013 3:37AM GMT 
mahaley43 6 Oct 2013 12:26AM GMT 
Stephen Goodm... 6 Oct 2013 3:23AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions