Search for content in message boards

Samuel Daniels

Replies: 14

Re: Samuel Daniels

Posted: 6 Jul 2012 4:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Daniel, Daniels, Hood, Fry, Wade, Bell, Westling, Barnes, LaRue
Unfortunately, neither can I, sorry. I do have info on what I've been able to figure out about Samuel (who is my great great grandfather)and his wives. I descend from Louella's sister's line, Margaret Anne Daniels. You may already have this info and please let me know of any errors I've made.

Samuel Monroe Daniels:

b. 1818 or 1820 in TN

Married Jane J. Wade 3.1.1842 (at age of about 24) in Williamson TN. Saw copy of a handwritten note. Had 2 children, R A Daniels and N E J Daniels.

Jane Wade Daniels must have died because the 1850 census shows that he is now married to a Mary Daniels, age 25, and the 2 previous children are now 7 and 5 in 1850. Another child is also listed, R W Daniels, age 0, who is not listed on any subsequent censuses so he/she died???

This info came from a LaRue Family Tree and Mary's maiden name was Bell. She lived from 1825-1860 according to records from Hardin TN and from a Barnes Family Tree. She's not listed on the 1860 census and neither is the child R W Daniels.

The 1860 census from Hickman TN shows no wife but lists wife Wade's 2 children, Ruhana age 17 and Nancy age 16. It also lists children Samuel H age 1, Sarah C age 4, John P age 6, Mary R age 8, and William C age 10. Mary Bell, mother, died just before this census???

Samuel Daniels then married Martha A. Fry in Maury Co TN on 2.9.1862. She was 40 when she married...did she have any children?

The 1870 Census from Hickman TN lists an "S Daniel" (not Daniels) whom I'm assuming is the same Samuel b/c the children and their ages (except for Sarah and John) correspond to the 1860 census. Children are Mary age 18, Sarah age 16, John age 14, Samuel age 12. Ruhana would have been 27 and Nancy would have been 25 and are not listed. Baby R W is not listed. I think Sarah and John's ages were mistakenly transposed compared to their ages listed on the 1860 census.

I found a Samuel M Daniels on the 1880 Census from Maury TN but am not sure it is the same one. Birthplace is listed as North Carolina. Wife is listed as Martha A Fry. Age of 60 would have been accurate for Samuel but Martha's age is listed as 45 (should be 50) and child Sarah 23 (should be 26). Two new children are listed: Manroe T Daniels age 14 and James Phillips age 21. These 2 should have been on the 1870 census if they are this old in 1880. Not sure what to make of the info on this census.

I am not continuing my subscription to ancestry right now since I've learned most of what I could during the free trial period. My main goal is to find evidence of Cherokee ancestry.

I did find on the Guion-Miller Index of applications submitted for the Eastern Cherokee Roll of 1909 a William C Daniel (no s) but state is listed as AL. The 1910 Census has him living in Hickman TN. He would have been 59 at this time. There is also a William C Daniel Jr. listed in TN but to my knowledge William and Martha did not have a son named William.

On the 1860 Indian Territory Census, there is a Martha A Daniel, Cherokee, age 56 born in S Carolina in the Delaware District of the Cherokee Nation. However, she didn't marry Samuel until 1862 so in 1860 she would have gone by last name Fry. There are also a John and 2 Marys but all three list their state as I.T. (Indian Territory)

This is a lot of info that didn't answer your question! I guess I wrote this partly to organize it for myself. I hope maybe someone else reading the Daniels board can offer some info to help me verify any Cherokee ancestry. My mother who is deceased now always told me Margaret Anne Daniels Westling was part Cherokee.

Hope some of this will be helpful to you! Stay in touch.

Deb Kirkland

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
curthudgin 6 Apr 2011 6:29AM GMT 
debkirkland55 14 Jun 2012 10:13PM GMT 
curthudgin 2 Jul 2012 7:11PM GMT 
debkirkland55 6 Jul 2012 10:37PM GMT 
curthudgin 7 Jul 2012 2:02AM GMT 
debkirkland55 7 Jul 2012 2:09AM GMT 
curthudgin 9 Jul 2012 3:23AM GMT 
Tina Armstron... 28 Oct 2013 10:18PM GMT 
curthudgin 30 Oct 2013 4:16AM GMT 
Tina Armstron... 30 Oct 2013 11:23AM GMT