Search for content in message boards

Hales in Sevier County

Replies: 2

Hales in Sevier County

Posted: 16 Jan 2005 1:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Nov 2006 7:02AM GMT
I have some further information on the tangled tales of Hales in Sevier County. I’ve been researching a few of them for a couple of years now and they’re finally beginning to make a little bit of sense.

We begin with Gie Hale and his wife Rachel Boling Hale.

According to census data Guy (var. Gie, Gusse, Genus, Gil, etc.) was born 1804-1808 in Cocke County, TN. I haven’t definitively proven who his parents were but my working theory is that his father was GUY S. HAILE who was born about 1765, the son of Abednego HAILE (1741-1802) and Johanna SMITH (dates unknown). An entry on the hales.org website (a well done collection of info on parts of the Hale/Haile/Hales lines) shows:

Abednego Hale married Johanna Smith, daughter of Guy Smith of Bedford County, VA, sourced from the book, "Roots in Virginia." (Nathaniel Claiborne Hale pub. 1948)
Another entry gives further information:
From http://www.hales.org/ha01.htm

Abednego HALE(S)
Born 12 AUG 1741 in Maryland the son of Nicholas HALE(S) and Ann LONG.
Married about 1762 Johannah SMITH.

Children:
F- Mary HAILE;born 1763 in Washington County, Tennessee.
M- Guy HAILE; born 1765 in Washington County, Tennessee.
M- Bird HAILE; born 1766 in Washington County, Tennessee.
M- Abednego HAILE; born 1768 in Washington County, Tennessee.
M- Phillip HAILE; born 1770 in Washington County, Tennessee.

Johanna’s father was Guy SMITH so, by the naming conventions of the day, it would be logical for any of her sons (and then grandsons, etc.) to be named “Guy S.”. There is a fair amount of information available on Bird, Abednego and Philip Hale and I’ve not found anything that shows that any of them had a son named Guy. There is very little data out there about their brother Guy, and although this is kind of negative proof, I am hoping that my Guy (b. 1804-1808) is the son of Guy the 1st (b. 1765). One of the few references that I’ve found for Guy the 1st is that he is listed on a Greene County, TN Deed in 1814. I don’t have the document on hand as I write this, but I think he was a witness and not the deed holder. That at least puts him in the area in the right time frame for Guy the 2nd birth. However, another possible reason why I’ve not been able to find much out about Guy the 1st (b. 1765), is that he may have left the East Tennessee area that I’ve been concentrating on. The 1820 Census for Rutherford County lists a Guy Hale, and the 1830 Census for Hardin County lists a Guy S. Hale. Tracing the Hale/Haile lines from VA to TN is made more complicated by the fact that several branches of the Hale/Haile family emigrated to the Tennessee area at about the same time. They tended to use many of the same names for their children, making it difficult to figure out which one is which.

The earliest documentation I’ve found for Guy the 2nd is the record of his marriage. Guy Hale married Rachel Boling (var. Bowling, Bowlin, Bowlen, Bolin, etc.) in Blount Co., licensed Oct 31, 1828 and married Nov. 13, 1828 (Source: “Early East Tennessee Marriages”, Sistler).

NOTE: Rachel is a very, very, stubborn brick wall for me. The only lead I have so far is that she listed her birthplace as Monroe County, TN. There is a William Bowling listed in the 1830 census, showing an age of 40-50, and it’s possible that he is Rachel’s father but I can’t find him in any other documentation as of yet. I’ve scanned every page of the 1830 Monroe and Blount Census listings and he is the only one that I’ve found that has a Boling name – at least one that I can read! <grin>

I’ve been able to trace Guy and his family through census data and although I haven’t been able to follow up on all the leads yet, it does give a pretty solid outline of his adult life.

The first listing I have is:
1830 Sevier County Census (Ancestry.com image page11)
Guy Hail
2 males under 5
1 male 20-30
1 female 10-15
1 female 20-30

I next find Guy on the list of taxpayers in Blount County, District 13 in 1837. An old map of the area shows that District 13 is between the Holston River to the west, Cades Cove to the east, and the county line directly to the north.

I can’t find any listing for him in 1840 but I believe he was in Blount or Monroe County.

An extract from the 1850 Blount Co. (15th Civil District, household #1701) Census shows:
Hail, Genus 46 M
" Rachel 40 F
" Joel B 18
" Elizabeth 16
" Sarah 14
" Will M 12
" Mary A 12
" Jno H 9

All listed as being born in Tennessee. The 15th district is basically the Townsend area.

By 1860, Guy has moved south, possibly following his in-laws, the Colemans. .

Extract from 1860 Cherokee County NC Census
Shoal Creek District; P.O.: Turtle Town
p.74 - 204A
481 HALE
.... Gusse...52 m...Farmer...Cocke Co., TN
.... Rachel...50 f......Monroe Co., TN
.... Sarah...19 f......Blount Co., TN
.... Mary A....17 f......Blount Co., TN
.... William...17 m......Blount Co., TN
.... John H....14 m......Blount Co., TN

And by 1870, Guy and family have moved back to Sevier County.

Extract from the 1870 Census for Sevier County (District 10, known as Cusicks Crossroads).
Household # 77
Hale, Gie S MaleWhite 65 farmer Estate 0$ in Real Estate Value $334 in Personal Property Value and birthplace of TN
Hale, Rachel Female White 65 birthplace of TN
Reayan, Richard Male White 25 Farm laborer 0$ in Real Estate Value and 0$ in Personal Property Value and birthplace of TN
Reayan, Sarah Female White 24 Keeping house birthplace in TN
Reayan, Cordelia Female White 3 birthplace in TN
Reayan, Rachel A Female White 1 birthplace in TN

I haven’t found any record of the death of Guy. But I believe that his wife Rachel died in 1879 or 1880, based on the following listing.

1880 Sevier County Mortality Schedule
Hale, Rachel, 72, f, w, widow, Tenn., Tenn., Tenn., kept house, May, haumpfegia (whatever the heck that is). Since she is listed as a widow, Guy must have died between 1870 and her death in 1879/1880. In my notes I show that a cemetery index (which I forgot to cite but is probably “Shadows of the Smokies”) does list both a Guy S. and a Rachel Hale as being buried in Sevier County, but not what cemetery.

Although Guy’s name varies quite a bit in the census listings, I’m pretty confident that they are all the same person. The names of his wife and children remain consistent and I can connect him to various other people as shown below.

Based on census listings, I believe that Guy and Rachel had at least 6 children:
Joel B. – b. abt. 1832
Sarah – b. abt. 1836
Elizabeth – b. abt. 1837
Will M. – b. abt. 1838
Mary A. – b. abt. 1838
John H. – b. abt. 1841

So far, my research has involved only 2 of the children, Elizabeth and Joel. Based on oral family history, Elizabeth Hale Coleman is my husband’s great-great grandmother and tracing her is how I got caught up in the Hale tangle in the first place!

Elizabeth, born about 1837 in Blount County, married James Spencer Coleman by about 1859. James Coleman was born Sep. 28, 1839 in Monroe County to Spencer and Zilla Hicks Coleman. The Coleman’s were a large and prolific family who tended to stick fairly close together as they migrated from Virginia into early Tennessee and then from Greene to Cocke to Monroe to Polk counties and into Cherokee County, NC. The Coleman’s land in Monroe county was near the Hopewell Springs area, due east of Madisonville. By 1850, Spencer (and most of the other Coleman’s) had moved to Cherokee County, North Carolina and/or Polk County, TN. By the 1860 census, James Coleman and Elizabeth Hale were married.

Extract from 1860 Cherokee County, NC Federal Census
Shoal Creek District; P.O.: Turtle Town
p.74 - 204A

479 COLEMAN
.... Spencer...47 m...Farmer...Cocke Co., TN
.... Zella...52 f......_(b.p. blank)_
.... Lorenzo...25 m......Monroe Co., TN
.... Elizabeth J....16 f......Polk Co., TN
.... Anderson...13 m......Polk Co., TN
.... Jesse...10 m......Cherokee Co., NC

480 COLEMAN
.... James...21 m...Farmer...Monroe Co., TN
.... Elizabeth...23 f......Blount Co., TN
.... Mary A....10/12 f......Cherokee Co., NC

481 HALE
.... Gusse...52 m...Farmer...Cocke Co., TN
.... Rachel...50 f......Monroe Co., TN
.... Sarah...19 f......Blount Co., TN
.... Mary A....17 f......Blount Co., TN
.... William...17 m......Blount Co., TN
.... John H....14 m......Blount Co., TN

There is no record for James and Elizabeth in the 1870 Census but they are listed in the 1880 Census in Polk County, TN. The area where this branch of the Coleman family lived is near Farner in Polk County and Liberty in Cherokee County, NC and the state line was almost literally in their back yards. So, it may have been that they didn’t actually move, and the census enumerators were a little unsure of where the state line was. I know that they aren’t listed in Polk County in 1870 and they aren’t listed in the partial records that exist from the Cherokee County Census. They are listed in the 1880 Census in Polk County and that is the last documented record that I’ve found for Elizabeth Hale Coleman. She must have died sometime between 1880 and 1893, when James remarried. We’ve looked at many cemeteries in the area and so far, haven’t been able to find Elizabeth’s grave, although we have more to check.

James Coleman served in the Civil War. According to Muster Rolls of 7th TN Mtd. Inf. for Co. E (see www.tngenweb.org/civilwar/rosters/minf/minf7/coe1.html#vn9)

Enlisted: Sept 30, 1864
Ap. Corp (appointed Corporal) Dec 16, 1864
Mustered: Nov 29, 1864

Joel Hale also served in the Civil War, in the same unit. Tngennet.org/civilwar/rosters/minf/minf7/coe4.html gives the roster for the 7th Tennessee Mounted Infantry. Joel is at the end of the listing for Company E and is shown enlisting on October 1, 1864 and having deserted May 2 1865.

Although I can’t find Joel on an 1860 Census, the fact that he enlisted in the same unit a day after his brother-in-law James Coleman did, leads me to believe that he was also living in Polk or Cherokee County. I do find Joel in the 1870 Sevier County census, listed as Joel Hall.

Extract from 1870 Sevier Census:
Household #70:
Hall, Joel Male White 40 Farmer $125 Personal property value, birthplace in TN
Matilda C. Female White 38 keeping house, birthplace in TN
Sarah J. Female White 12, at home, born in TN
William C. Male White 11, at home, born in TN
Rachel M. Female White 8, at home, born in TN
Gil S. Male White, 7, born in TN (MY NOTE: Could be Gie?)
Mary M Female White 4, born in Tn
Jesse Male White 2, born in TN

Household # 76 is:
Hale, John Male White 22 Farm laborer, birthplace in TN. No real estate or personal property value.
Hale, Rachel Female White 19 keeping house, birthplace in TN
Hale, James A. Male White ?/12 born in March, birthplace in TN.

Household #77 is Guy and Rachel Hale and it’s possible that the John Hale in #76 is their son, Joel’s younger brother.

Joel married Matilda “Tilda” Coleman, and given that the 1870 census lists them having a 12 year old daughter, they were probably married sometime around 1858. Although I haven’t dug too deeply into this Coleman connection, I suspect that she is part of the same Coleman family. The 1870 Census shows that she was born about 1832 and because she is not listed on the 1880 census with her family, she was probably dead by then. I have several Matilda’s in my Coleman files and if anyone has any more information, I’ll see if I can match her up with her family.

There has been a lot of research done on early Hale/Haile lines in America. For those researching this Sevier County line of Hales, defining who Guy’s parents were will allow us to easily connect to a wealth of well documented research that goes all the way back to England.

I hope this helps any fellow Hale researchers and I would welcome any further information that anyone may have.

Take care and happy hunting,
Suzanne Pitt Whitehead
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
WiseCatbrd 16 Jan 2005 8:35PM GMT 
Judy Cardwell 7 Jun 2005 9:56AM GMT 
dhale128 12 Sep 2012 10:56PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions