Will of Adam Giesler, Sr.

Replies: 1

Will of Adam Giesler, Sr.

Posted: 20 Apr 2011 7:14PM GMT
Classification: Will
Surnames: Giesler, Keeny
Probate Record for Adam Giesler Sr.
Adams Co., Pennsylvania Probate Court Records
Book E, pg. 142-143, Will #2433 (film #020678)

Adam Giesler Sr. wrote the following Last Will and Testament in Sullivan Co., TN on 17 Oct 1818. In the will, Adam named his wife Anna and children and directed his son John Giesler and Joseph Wm. Looney as executors. A Frederick Cole and Adam’s son Jacob Giesler witnessed the will. In this will Adam leaves his remaining land to youngest sons, Jacob and Samuel and directs Jacob to care for Anna. He directs his sons John and Adam to pay monies to their sisters. Magdalena, who was named in the will of Anna’s father, John Keeny, is not named in this will and it’s presumed she died before this time. The grandson, Adam Giesler, named in this will and also in the will of John Keeny, has never been identified, however only Adams’s son John Giesler would have been married long enough by 1818 to have this son.
Letters of Testimony were issued and a copy of the will entered into probate on the 3rd Monday of February 1821 in Sullivan Co., TN.
Copies of these documents were made by Richard Netherland, Clerk of the Court in Blountville, TN on 19 June 1832 presumably for the executors or their lawyer to file in Adams Co., PA and collect the monies owed by Solomon Becker to the Adam Giesler estate from the sale of his property there in 1814.

Some time elapsed before the documents were filed in the court records in Adams Co., PA. On 4 Nov 1844 the Registrar Wm. King of Adams Co., PA added his memorandum to the copies of the Tennessee will and letter of testimony and entered all into the Adams Co., Probate Book E, pg. 142, directing Joseph Kuhn to present an inventory within one year's time or before.
Joseph J. Kuhn must have already taken the inventory, for he filed an inventory account on the goods and chattels of Adam Gisler, dec'd on showing the schedule of payments that should have been made by Solomon Becker totalling $886.66. This is also dated 4 Nov 1844.
Research on site in the Adams Co., PA court records found that Solomon Becker not only did not pay Adam Giesler this money, but he also failed to pay his taxes on the land. The farm had been sold for back taxes and so the inheritance owed the Giesler heirs in Tennessee and Missouri was lost.
- - - - - - - - -
142 2433
Last Will of }
Adam Geelser }
In the Name of God Amen, I Adam Geesler of Sullivan County and State of Tennessee, being in a declining state of health, but of Sound disposing mind and memory, do make and publish my last Will and Testament in manner following that is to Say, I commit my Soul to God and as to Such Worldly property as I possess I dispose of the Same in Manner following.
I desire that all my just debts be paid within one year after my decease by my Executors herein after named.
I bequeath to my wife Anna Geesler all or so much of the household furniture as she may want, together with what other things she may want to give her a decent support during her natural lifetime, and at the death of said Wife to be divided with all her children.
I also bequeath to my two Sons Jacob and Samuel Geesler the plantation whereon I now live containing two hundred and twenty acres to the same more or less, to be equally divided between the same, equal quantity according to quality and the said land stand good to them at Six dollars per acre. I enjoin it on said Jacob and Samuel to pay to my daughters the sum of $197 dollars each, and that my son John Geesler pay to said daughters $29. and also my son Adam Geesler pay the sum of $89 to said daughters, and each to pay one half the same in twelve months after my decease the other half in 24 months after my decease, and ordain that my daughters Polly Hymes and Catherine Hymes be allowed the Sum of $130. each and that my daughter Barbary Hysinger be allowed $213. and that my daughter Anna Allison be allowed the Sum of $29.
I further ordain that my Grandson, Adam Geesler be paid the sum of $100. dollars when certain Bonds are paid that is due me from Solomon Becher and that the balance of said Bonds when collected be equally divided between all my children as collected.
I further ordain that my Son Jacob Geesler take care of my said wife to keep her in grain and fire wood, and that the said Jacob is to have my Waggon for the same, and
I further ordain that my son John Geesler and Joseph Em. Looney to be my Executors as Witness whereunto I set hereunto Set my hand and Seal this 17th day of October in the year of our Lord 1818 ~ " ~ his
Witness, Frederick Cole/Gole? Adam X Geesler {seal}
Jacob Geiser

State of Tennessee}
Sullivan County } I Richard Netherland clerk of the Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions for said county, certify that the above is a true copy of the original which is of record in my office. In Testimony whereof I have hereunto set my hand and affixed the Seal of my office at Blountville, the 19th day of June 1832 ~"~
Richard Netherland, Clerk
State of Tennessee }
Sullivan County } By G.W. Netherland, D. Clerk
I Samuel Rhea presiding Justice of the Court of Pleas & c
do certify that Richard Netherland whose name is signed to the above certificate, is and was at the time of signing, the same clerk of said Court and that all credit is due all his official acts as such, Given under my hand and Seal June 18th, 1832 ~"~
Samuel Rhea {seal}
Presiding Justice

pg. 145
Memorandum. Letters of Administration with the Will annexed of Adam Geesler, deceased, now on this day granted in due form of Law, unto Joseph J. Kuhn, an Inventory to be exhibited into the Registrars office in the County of Adams, within thirty days from the date hereof, and a just and true account of his Administration within one year from the date hereof, or when thereunto legally required. Witness my hand the 4th day of November A.D. 1844. ~"~
Wm. King, Registrar
_ _ _ _ _ _ end

John Giesler Sr. migrated to Missouri in 1837, settling in Crawford County (later Maries County). He's said to have died about 1846 without a will and his estate went into probate in the Crawford Co. courts naming his heirs. It's very possible he died suddenly possibly enroute to or from trying to collect the debt in Pennsylvania.
- - - - -
Pam Smith
Dallas, Oregon
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
pamandgar9973 21 Apr 2011 1:14AM GMT 
pamandgar9973 16 Jan 2013 3:41PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions