Search for content in message boards

WHITE-EZELL

Replies: 21

Possible bur. sites for Bathsheba (CRUDUP) FOWLER

Posted: 10 Jan 2012 5:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Fowler Crudup Perry Harris Battle Hillsman Hilsman Province
Concerning Bathsheba (Crudup) Fowler enum. with Elizabeth B. Harris in 1850 census Carroll Co. TN, dist. 5, no. 707 - this is Elizabeth Battle Perry, widow of Williamson Harris; she was b. 1795, d. 1870, dau. of Solomon Ruffin Perry and Mary Louise (probably Louisa) Crudup. I believe Bathsheba Crudup and Mary Louise Crudup are sisters, daughters of Josiah Crudup and Elizabeth Battle, the grandmother and namesake of Elizabeth Battle Perry. Thus Bathsheba is a younger aunt of Elizabeth's. I am hedging on the Crudup sister relationship because one source I have seen calls Bathsheba "Bethesda" and says she married William Fowler, not Bullard Fowler (perhaps this is an error). However, I think the marriage records of Wake Co. NC tend to clarify things; Bathsheba Crudup mar. Bullard Fowler (not William Fowler as some sources may state) 23 Oct 1800 in Wake Co. NC, while William Fowler (uncle of Bullard) mar. Mourning Crudup 14 Apr 1800 in Wake Co. NC. These may be bond dates, not actual mar. dates; I have only a trancription, and recommend that the original records be inspected. I have read that Mourning and Bathsheba are sisters; their father Josiah Crudup is son of John Crudup and Mourning Dixon, so the daughter Mourning Crudup appears to be named for her grandmother Mourning Dixon. The eldest son of Bathsheba Crudup and Bullard Fowler was Josiah Crudup Fowler, named for his grandfather Josiah Crudup. The tendency to name children for their grandparents is particularly strong among these and related families; but as always, naming conventions are simply interesting observations, not rules you can bank on.

By the way, Elizabeth Battle Perry's husband Williamson Harris is said to have d. 1840 in TN; however, there is in the 1850 census of Davie Co. NC the following family at no. 818: Williamson Harris 61 b. Montgomery Co. NC, Christina 64, Caroline 23, Bethback? f 21 (Barsheba?), Stephen 16, all b. Rowan Co. NC (note that the 1850 census of Davie Co. often states the county of birth, rather than just the state); no. 817 is Williamson G. Harris 34, Sarah 26 & family et al. It seems unlikely that this Williamson Harris b. ca. 1789 in NC is the same person whose wife is in Carroll Co. TN in 1850; however, since Elizabeth Battle Perry's husband is said to be the son of West Harris Jr. and Elizabeth Ledbetter of Montgomery Co. NC, this record might also suggest that Williamson Harris had separated from Elizabeth and returned to NC, or had 2 families at once.

As to where Bathsheba (Crudup) Fowler may be buried - I don't know, but here are some likely suggestions: (1) the Harris family cemetery where Elizabeth Battle (Perry) Harris is reportedly buried; "turn east off U.S. Highway 79 onto Big Buck Road in Trezevant, Tenn. and drive about 2.2 miles to the cemetery, sited on the south side of this road. It has been markedly vandalized in years past." Note that Trezevant is near McLemoresville, which at one time was the center of district 5 where they were enumerated in 1850. Since Bathsheba had been living with this Harris family, she was likely buried in their family graveyard.
(2) the Hillsman family cemetery 2 mi. east of Trezevant - these were relations of Elizabeth Battle Perry's sister Mary Arundel Crudup Perry 1800-1890 who mar. William Reddick Hillsman/Hilsman 1778-1858
(3) a less likely guess would be the Province family cemetery near McKenzie, which has some Harris burials (perhaps related to Williamson Harris, but not confirmed).
All these cemeteries had ante-bellum burials; they are said to be in relative disrepair, and it's likely that many of the stones have been damaged, destroyed, or buried. Perhaps some transcriptions of these cemeteries from a time when the stones were in better condition could be found, such as WPA data or even earlier records.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
b2222b 10 Jan 2012 12:39PM GMT 
loridomel 7 Nov 2010 11:48PM GMT 
ADAMSADJUSTIN... 9 Nov 2010 11:57PM GMT 
loridomel 10 Nov 2010 4:06AM GMT 
lynnedal 10 Nov 2010 1:07PM GMT 
loridomel 10 Nov 2010 4:08AM GMT 
lynnedal 10 Nov 2010 1:05PM GMT 
loridomel 11 Nov 2010 12:50PM GMT 
ADAMSADJUSTIN... 13 Nov 2010 8:26PM GMT 
jenchit 27 Nov 2012 1:39AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions