Search for content in message boards

Polly Linder - Robert Knight - Archibald Young

Replies: 3

Polly Linder - Robert Knight - Archibald Young

Posted: 5 May 2012 2:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Knight, Linder, Young
Polly Linder married Robert Knight. I have five children for them:
Samuel, Malinda, Sarah, Sampson, Thomas, Mary...
Were there more than five children????

Robert is killed in 1814 in the Battle of Emuckfaw Creek. Archibald is serving with Robert, returns home to console her and marries her after some time.

Question #2:
On the 1820 census, when Polly and Archibald are still married there are a total of 8 children. 4 males under ten & 2 females under ten... and two females between 10 & 15.

I have never been able to verify whether she & Archibald had children. That is the question.... DID ARCHIBALD & POLLY HAVE CHILDREN????

It would seem it was possible. The youngest kids I had down for Polly with Robert were:
Thomas H 1812 (my line) and Mary Elizabeth 1814. They would fit "under" ten. That would leave another female under ten.(Sarah & Malinda would be the two 10-15) and Sampson would be 'right at' ten and I have no date for Samuel. That still leaves two males and one female... all under ten not accounted for.

Either Polly & Robert had more children than it shows... or she had three by Archibald that no one mentions. With a family that large I can't imagine them taking more children by anyone else in.

I don't have a problem with "Samuel" - thinking maybe he doesn't belong just b/c I don't have a birthdate for him. The name fits in with "my" line. Their son Thomas H Knight was in my line and had two sons - Thomas H & Samuel Clark Knight... and one daughter Susan "Arra" Knight.

A lot of people have "ArVa" as her middle name because of a incorrect transcript on the 1880 census. Probably more than 25 years ago, way before I was able to access a census, my father gave me her name (he died in 1987). He didn't know the "Susan" and tole me that her name was Arra and was specific about the spelling. I will never forget that particular incident b/c her name was so unusual.

I got off track on the "Samuel" name.... but it would make sense for Thomas to name one of his sons for his brother, Samuel.

So, question #1: Did Robert & Polly have more than 5 children?

Question #2: Did Polly & Archibald have children?? (would make sense)

Question #3: I was told that Polly married again after her divorce from Archibald.... a relative of one of her son-in-laws??? Is this true??

Looking forward to some answers/comments!

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
thewatkins_1 5 May 2012 8:42PM GMT 
gideongirl 5 May 2012 9:14PM GMT 
johnmackyoung 2 Feb 2013 8:33PM GMT 
thewatkins_1 30 Mar 2013 12:12PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic