Search for content in message boards

Downing Jones Van Cleave Morrow 1870-1890

Replies: 1

Downing Jones Van Cleave Morrow 1870-1890

Posted: 16 May 2013 1:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Downing Jones Van Cleave Morrow Stovall Peck
First, I am really bad with locations in Texas. So if I'm in the wrong part of Texas with this, please forgive me.

I'm researching a family-- Jones, Downing, Van Cleave, and Morrow [two sisters, Jincy Downing and Mary Ann Downing Jones, along with their children: Jesse B Downing, Charity Van Cleave with husband Peter, Charlotte Rebecca Morrow with husband Thomas, plus other children].

In 1860, they're all together in Robertson County. But then, NONE of them can be found in 1870 (which makes me wonder if parts of that census are missing). In 1880, some of them (JB Downing, Charity Van Cleave, & families) reappear in Coryell County. The Van Cleaves seem to stay in the Gatesville area from then on (more or less), while the Downings move around. (The Morrows completely disappear, as do the Joneses except for Melissa M who married Solomon Peck, and "Dervey"/Sarah, who marries John J Stovall-- Dervey Stovall and Solomon Peck are buried at Ruth Cemetery at Fort Hood). By 1900, JB Downing and family are in Runnels County.

HOWEVER, some of the Downing kids have Bell County and Kileen listed as their birthplace on their death certificates.

Furthermore, in some of the histories of the Primative Baptist Church, they speak of "Little Flock Church" (which I'd thought was in Coryell, but the Little Flock Cemetery is listed in Bell County; I did not find any of the family there). In May 1874, a congregation met there that included "Jincy Downing" "JB Downing" (who later became an "Elder" and was apparently the leader? of the congregation?), "M A Jones" (although that is a very common name), and "John Stovall" with "M E Stovall" (I believe this was his first wife, not "Dervey/Sarah").

So I am left wondering if in the 1870 missing gap and then maybe in the 1890 missing gap IF maybe the family [particularly the Downings] were in Bell County.

If anyone can help me with this or can make suggestions of where to look or whom to write, I would really appreciate it (I am on the other side of the country, so visiting is not an option). I am in particular trying to find out what happened to Jincy Downing and Mary Ann Downing Jones. The mention of them at the Little Flock church is the last record I can find on them

Thank you for your time. I really do appreciate it!
Anna
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
beket1 16 May 2013 7:28PM GMT 
judyartley53 11 Aug 2013 11:03PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions