Search for content in message boards

Daniel Cofield Kelley

Replies: 4

Daniel Cofield Kelley

Posted: 22 Mar 2000 5:00AM GMT
Classification: Pension
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 8:19PM GMT
Surnames: Kelley
Daniel C. Kelley was the son of Andrew Kelley and Nancy Knight Cain Kelley. Daniel moved to Bastrop Co, TX in 1870's with his mother, sister Martha and her husband Lewis Tiner, brother William L Kelley, 1/2 brother James Michael Cain and sister Mary Elbanie Kelley Richardson. He later moved to San Saba, Holt Co, TX.

Military record:
Co B 8th Georgia Cavalry, PVT. See also 62 GA CAV
Enlisted 5/31/1862, Griffin GA by Maj. Griffin for 3 years.
Last paid 6/30/1864. Not stated if present. Entitled to Bounty. Not absent without leave from 1st April to 30 Oct 764.
Nov/Dec. 1864 absent detail-procure remount.
62 CAV GA:
Enlisted 5/31/1862 in Milford, GA by Capt Nichols for 3 years.
July/Aug 1863 present
Sept/Oct 1862 present. Last paid 8/31/1862 by Capt. R. P Howell
Oct 31, 1863 to Feb 28, 1864: present
May 31, 1862 to May 31, 1865 Bounty paid 50.00.
March/April, 1864 present Named appeared as Daniel.

Confederate Pension Application
Daniel C. Kelley, San Saba, Holt, Texas
File No. 12611
Approved March 25, 1907
Daniel C. Kelley
63 yrs August 15, 1906
Lived here since Dec 25, 1905
Have you applied for a pension: Yes, in Bastrop County
Physical condition: Health broken down. Lungs about gone. Have practically no work for 2 yrs
Cause: hard work and old age. had left leg broken twice
State: Georgia
Long: Enlisted July 4, 1861 was with Gen Lee at Surrender at Appomattox
Name: Co B 8 GA Cav, Fitz Hugh Lee's Corpse
Cavalry
Received any pension? none
Property: Real estate-none, Personel property-wagon and team
Property sold: 200 acres. I bought this land from F. A. Orgain in Bastrop. a credit the boll weavil destroyed my crop and I had to let land go back because I couldn't pay for it.
Wife's estate: none
Income: none
Indigent: yes
unable to earn support: yes
Transfered property: no
desert the confederecy: no
Residence of state: yes came to Texas in 1872
Signed D. C. Kelley 24 Sept 1906
Witnesses:
San Saba County appeared H. Burrow and J. A. Kelley
24 Sept 1906
Certificate of County Judge:
W A. Smith
Affidavit of Physician:
J. W. Moore, County of McCulloch, Texas
Examined D. C. Kelly and states he is unable to labor at any work due to tuberculosis.
Certificate of County Commissioners:
E. B. House
Yarborough
J. T. Hartley
W. G. Kolb
Cross Interrogatories:
W. L. Kelley and Lewis Tiner
Ex Parte:
Lewis Tiner and W. L. Kelley in Bastrop County
W. L. Kelley and Lewis Tiner, both residing in the County of Bastrop, State of Texas
agreement of waiver of Commission as shown in ap. First interrogatory the said W. L. Kelley answers, 1. What is your name? W. L. Kelley, 64 years old, Bastrop County, Texas, Post Office, Smithville, TX
To the second interrogatory, Do you know applicant, he answers Yes
To third, How long, he answers, I have known him all of his live, I first knew him in the State of Georgia, from and after his birth, up to the present time.
To the fourth, Do you know he enlisted: Yes I do
To the fifth, what regiment: Yes, in Company B 8th Georgia Cavalry, 1861, Baker Co, GA. He served 4 years, that is during the war.
To the sixth, know he is unable to support himself: Yes, I know that he is not able to support himself by labor of any sort.
To the first cross: I know this by serving in the same Company and Regiment with the said Daniel C. Kelley and there was no other man serving in the said Company B by said name of Daniel C. Kelley.
To second: Yes
Third: I know that his lungs are affected, and that he has had both of his legs broken and that he is deseased generally, andn that my answer to said Direct Interragatory No. 6 is based on my own knowledge and not on conjecture.
To the fourth cross: Yes I know he did not.
W. L. Kelley signed
To the first: Lewis Tiner, 63 yrs old. Upton, Bastrop Co, TX.
2nd: Yes
3rd: Since 1861 in Baker Co, Georgia
4th: yes
5th: I do not know what Company, but he served in the 8th Regiment Cavalry, GA Volunteers. About the year 1863. Close to a place the name of which I know do not remember but is near Richmond Virginia. He served from the year 1861 and returned home about April 1865.
6th: When he left this county he was not able to earn a living by labor of any sort, but since that time I can't say whether he is or not.
To first cross: My knowledge is derived from the fact that I met him in the service of the Confederacy during the time of his being a soldier in said service, and I further state that I did not know of any other Daniel C Kelley in said regiment.
2nd cross: Yes
3rd Cross: I know that he is deseased and was unable to earn a living by labor when he was living here, I know this by being personally acquainted with the said Daniel C Kelley.
4th cross: I know that he did not, that is there was never any mention of such act when he returned home from the army nor has there been any mention thereof up to the present time.
Lewis Tiner
Subscribed and sworn to before me, by the witness Lewis Tiner, this October 11, 1906. W. L. Moore, Notary Public, Bastrop County, Texas.

Comptroller's Department 3/21/1907
The records show that Daniel Kelley, name also borne as D. C. Kelley, private, Company B, 62nd GA CAV, CSA, was enlisted May 31, 1862. On the company muster roll of the last mentioned organization for November and December, 1864, the last on file, he is reported absent, detailed to procure remount. No later record of him has been found.

Attachment to widow's pension:
War Department 1984836, The Adjutant General's Office, Washington, 12/12/1912.
Respectfully returned to the Commissioner of Pensions, State of Austin, TX
The name of Daniel Kelley has not been found on the rolls, on file in this office, of the 5th Georgia CAV, Confederate States Army, and no record has been found of the capture or parole of a man of that name and organization.
The prisoner of war records show, however, that one D. C. Kelly, private, 5th GA CAV, Confederate States Army, was surrendered at Tallahassee, Florida, May 10, 1865, and paroled at Albany, GA, May 18, 1865.
The Adjutant General.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Owentk 22 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT 
scain196 30 Jul 2009 1:37AM GMT 
Tammy New 3 Aug 2009 11:17PM GMT 
ksuetuck1 6 Aug 2009 12:11PM GMT 
Michael Dale ... 15 Jul 2014 5:46PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic