Search for content in message boards

Erwin, Smith, Outlaw, Eskew, Sowell, Culp

Replies: 10

Erwin, Smith, Outlaw, Eskew, Sowell, Culp

Posted: 24 Aug 2005 10:46AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Erwin, Smith, Outlaw, Eskew, Sowell
The Erwin families appear on the 1860 Census of Bastrop County under a misspelled name as "Unman," in District 5, Page 43, Dwelling #'s 369 & #370 along with the Leonard Smith family, Dwelling #371. Leonard Smith's wife is Elizabeth Erwin, daughter of William C. Erwin. I am speculating that the census taker spelled the name Erwin phonetically as Urwan, but the transcriber of this census mistook the Urwan for Unman, easily understood when you look at the original census. However, the names (with a variety of spellings) of the family members, ages, places where born, etc. are correct for the William. C. Erwin and James Mathews Erwin families. The Erwin family arrived in Bastrop around 1856 and according to deed records, they settled in the Piney Creek area. The Wm. C. Erwin daughters married into the Smith, Eskew, Outlaw and Sowell families. The Wm. C. Erwin sons: Lycurgus married Seletha Hawkins; John Pinkey married Amanda Lou Black but I have little information on son, William Thomas Erwin.

Lycurgus Erwin & Seletha Hawkins are my direct ancestors and are listed on the 1870 Census in Bryan, Brazos Co.; however I have been unable to locate any of the rest of the family in a 1870 census. Yesterday was spent at the Bastrop library reviewing page-by-page their microfilmed, unindexed copy of the 1870 Bastrop census, and not one Erwin family member appeared on this census.

William C. Erwin died prior to 1870 per Bastrop probate record of 1868, with L. L. Smith listed as administrator. Presumbly his widow Sarah Walker Erwin, who died in 1873, was living with their eldest daughter, Elizabeth and her husband Leonard L. Smith at the time of his death or shortly thereafter and that may be why he was the administrator rather than one of Wm. C.'s sons.

Son - John Pinkney Erwin (b.Dec. 9, 1841 d. Oct. 4, 1899) married Amanda Lou Black. Both J Pinkney and his daughter Sarah Ella Erwin Culp are buried in the Fairview Cemetery. There is a wonderful Bastrop Advertiser newspaper article of Oct. 6, 1899 regarding the circumstances of his death that's in a file at the Bastrop Museum. I believe his great grandson may have donated it along with a copy of his funeral card. It states that he died of a stroke of appoplexy as had his father and grandfather.

Daughter -Mary Adelaide Erwin who married her first cousin James Mathew Erwin are buried at the Piney Cemetery also known as Mt. Bethel Cemetery in the old Camp Swift area off Hwy 95 & FR 1441. Two of their married Scarborough daughters are buried at Ridgeway Cemetery. This Erwin family is listed on the 1860 Census as "Unman" in Dwelling #369, page 43, District 5, Bastrop County, Texas.

Daugther - Frances M. Erwin married Joseph Eskew.

Daughter - Sarah Elizabeth Erwin married David Edward Outlaw in Bastrop on Dec. 3, 1857.

Daughter -Minerva Adeline Erwin married Charles Patrick Sowell. I found C. P. Sowell in the Elgin Cemetery but not sure where "Adline" is burried although she died Jan. 31, 1917 in Bastrop.

If anyone has information as to where any of these families were living in 1870, I'd certainly appreciate hearing from you.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Houstongrammy 24 Aug 2005 4:46PM GMT 
Curtis D. Craig 30 Aug 2005 1:45AM GMT 
Houstongrammy 18 Sep 2005 7:53PM GMT 
jeskew33 5 Oct 2005 5:54PM GMT 
sharon_brogdo... 6 Dec 2006 2:44AM GMT 
VickyDingesB 15 Jun 2013 9:38AM GMT 
Curtis D Craig 1 Jan 2006 2:54AM GMT 
Houstongrammy 2 Jan 2006 8:05PM GMT 
jsieg2007 18 Aug 2008 1:22AM GMT 
PaSain 10 Dec 2006 3:27PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions