Search for content in message boards

Hilliards struck by lightning

Replies: 15

Hilliards struck by lightning

Bill Stein (View posts)
Posted: 1 Mar 2004 8:55AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hilliard, Hillyard
According to a newspaper article I have in hand, in August 1894 a number of people were travelling through Colorado County on their way from Bell County to Jackson County. The group was camped south of Columbus when a storm came up. Lightning struck the wagon of Tom and Mary "Hillyard," killing them both. Tom, 22, and Mary 20, were buried in Columbus. The article says they had sold their property in Bell County and purchased property in Jackson County.

The article also says that they had a baby who survived the lightning strike, but "with a livid red streak encircling one of its eyes and also around its neck, and a large red spot just behind one ear." This description aroused my curiosity. I have the two volume Bell County history, but can find nothing in it about these people. I note that two Hilliards wrote a piece about the family of John Lafayette Hilliard, but I did not see Tom mentioned.

What I would like to know is, what became of this baby? Was it a boy or a girl? Was it adopted by another family on the expedition and raised in Jackson County? Was it sent back to Bell County to be raised by relatives? Is there any memory of a person in the Hilliard family who had marks on his or her face like those described?

Perhaps this child became the first superhero, able to shoot lightning from his fingertips. If so, perhaps he or she maintained a secret identity? If not, can anyone identify him or her?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Bill Stein 1 Mar 2004 3:55PM GMT 
NancyKelsey2 2 Mar 2004 4:12AM GMT 
famtree43 5 Nov 2005 4:01PM GMT 
jim clair 3 Jul 2006 1:47AM GMT 
gerry rollins 3 Jul 2006 9:40PM GMT 
MortQ 1 Jul 2012 2:25AM GMT 
famtree43 1 Jul 2012 3:21AM GMT 
famtree43 1 Jul 2012 3:54AM GMT 
chrisfam11 14 Sep 2012 1:51AM GMT 
famtree43 14 Sep 2012 4:47AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions